Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green tech suddenly passé ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
In a way, it seems like 2008 has been the "year of green tech".

But recently, between slowing economy, plummeting oil prices, Tesla putting some plans on hold, it seems like some forces are "pulling the plug" on their green tech investments.

I read a lot of things last year about how VCs were experimenting with the idea of alt energy being the new investment opportunity, perhaps the next big thing after the internet.

In particular John Doerr made a really big deal about this...
John Doerr sees salvation and profit in greentech | Video on TED.com
Doerr firm invests in 'green technology' - USATODAY.com
?It?s All About Energy, Stupid!? | Print Article | Newsweek.com
Green Technology: John Doerr on GreenTech Investing

Suddenly all over I see stories about "clean tech / green tech" being a "bubble that is bursting".

Clean-tech bubble talk is a red herring | Green Tech - CNET News
Alternative Energy Faces New Headwinds - Mergers, Acquisitions, Venture Capital, Hedge Funds -- DealBook - New York Times
Momentum slows for alternative energy | The Bulletin
Alternative energy lukewarm in credit freeze - Cleveland.com
Momentum slows for alternative energy in U.S. - International Herald Tribune
Economic Crisis Dims Alternative Energy Plans : NPR

Stocks of solar and other "alternative energy" stocks have been hit particularly hard lately.

I don't know what happens next. Perhaps some of the "bailout money" is earmarked for clean tech, so various entities are just going to hibernate until they can get some of those funds?

What can I say? It is really sad to see this happening like this. Perhaps Chris Paine's next "whodunnit" should be "Who Killed the Alternative Energy Movement?"

Or is this just a temporary speedbump before things pick back up again?

Well there's been certainly enough hype within "green-tech" that it has felt like a bubble for a while now. Ultimately a little bit of deflation (rather than a pop) is probably a good thing. Filtering out the weaker companies and leaving only the serious contenders. As with the internet bubble (the internet didn't go anywhere), green-tech will survive since the problems it seeks to solve aren't going away anytime soon.

It is just remarkable how quickly the "tables turn" in the press. One week it is all roses, then the next week it is epitaph.

Why does everything have to be "feast or famine"? Wouldn't it be more sensible just to have a more metered approach?

If the slow down gives companies like Eestor a reality-check that will be a good thing. There's been too much cabbage in the green tech movement.

I am worried for Aptera, though. They deserve to succeed, but they may get "crunched"