TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Vehicles now have permanent Ontario HOV access!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Jun 17, 2016.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

It looks like the HTA was updated on June 9 - see Law Document English View.

It appears the section that made HOV access temporary has been deleted as the previous document you to say "Note: On July 1, 2016, paragraph 9 is revoked. See: O. Reg. 236/10, ss. 2, 3; O. Reg. 99/15, s. 6." But that section is now gone!

Green plates are now covered in section 7. Taxi or limo access to HOV lanes is still allowed but that is scheduled to be revoked on Jul 1, 2018.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

Thanks for the update

3. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Member

Great news - relevant para 7 follows

"The person is operating a motor vehicle to which are attached valid number plates that,

i. are issued by the Ministry,

ii. have green lettering on a white background, and

iii. display the words “GREEN VEHICLE” or “VÉHICULE ÉCOLOGIQUE”."

It appears only green plated electric vehicles will be able to use the HOV lanes with one person in the car.

4. tcorrin

tcorrin Member

I wish they would either offer personalized green plates, or clarify the rule to say electric cars.

I've heard from a few people (including my DS) that driving in the HOV without green plates was OK as a kind of unwritten rule, but it runs the risk of a cop not knowing the intent of the rule / being a stickler and forcing a green plate.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

5. edwolb

edwolb Member

Great news! As more electric cars hit the road and they need to consider HOV usage limitations, I wonder whether this means they will start limiting the number of green plates issued? Will we be grandfathered in?

6. wayner

wayner Active Member

Driving in the HOV lanes with personalized plates is a violation at least until they come up with personalized green plates. Maybe the cop will let you off on the technicality but if you read Aussie Bob's post it clearly states that the plates must be green on white and say GREEN VEHICLE. Maybe you could paint your blue letters green and add the "GREEN VEHICLE" yourself ;)

7. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Finally a rumour that turns out to be true. No discussion yet, of course, of HOT lanes, nor, therefore, any guarantee that GVs will be exempt from paying. The gov't would be foolish to charge GVs, but foolish is very easy for gov'ts to embrace as modus operandi when pressed by the big money and power boys in dark suits.

8. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

Now it is official on the ministry webpage:

Green licence plates

I am wondering, as MTO minister said pilot project for HoT would be starting on Sept 15 on QEW. Can green plated vehicles access that for free 2?

9. edwolb

edwolb Member

That's what has been reported in the news. EV access is free.

10. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Now we just need free 407 access!!!!

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

I would like free beer at the Beer Store too! What does the 407 have to do with the Green Plates and HOV as the 407 is a privately owned entity? Why should the 407's shareholders be subsidizing us from driving EVs? The 407 East Extension is owned by the province so maybe I could see that but not with the main 407 highway.

• Helpful x 1