Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GreenON Cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Premier-designate Doug Ford has scrapped a rebate program that offered incentives for those who opted for energy-efficient renovations, leaving some Ottawa homeowners and companies adrift.

New rebate applications for GreenON, which used the proceeds from Ontario's cap-and-trade program, will no longer be accepted, according to the province's website.

However, already-approved rebates will be honoured if the work is finished by the end of August.

Brian Doyle, who lives in Ottawa's west end, falls under that category.

Doyle said he ordered new windows several months ago with the understanding that he'd get at least $5,000 back through GreenON.

He said he was shocked after finding out Tuesday that the program had been cancelled and worried that he'd have to spend far more than originally planned.

But he's hopeful the company will be able to get the work done before the Aug. 31 deadline.

"I think we'll be OK," he said. "But I don't think that's the case for everyone."

Doyle reached out to his MPP-elect Jeremy Roberts, a Progressive Conservative, expressing his disappointment in one of the first decisions made by the incoming government.

<snip>
Full article at:
Ottawans disappointed over cancellation of GreenON program | CBC News

https://www.greenon.ca/

Much as I will miss this program, personally, something had to be done. You can't continue to drive up the debt forever.

That means cutting a wide swathe of government programs - most of which are intended to buy votes from specific interest groups. Unfortunately there was a lot of green funding that was not well spent.

I agree with above. The Green program was overly generous and was taken advantage of by installers; rather than by home owners.

I have seen people who only replaced some of the windows in their home just to maximize their rebate.

I agree with above. The Green program was overly generous and was taken advantage of by installers; rather than by home owners.

I have seen people who only replaced some of the windows in their home just to maximize their rebate.

The rebate programs were financed out of cap and trade. The money to pay for the programs was not coming from general tax revenues. But since they plan to kill cap and trade the revenue stream for other programs dries up.

The rebate programs were financed out of cap and trade. The money to pay for the programs was not coming from general tax revenues. But since they plan to kill cap and trade the revenue stream for other programs dries up.

So, where is the money going to come from for Douggie's proposed subway line? Subway lines to Pickering, Markham, in the long-term, says Doug Ford | The Star

If the Scarborough line is $3+ billion, how much for the ones to to Markham and Pickering?! It's got to be at least $50 billion (no way is it going to be a Hyperloop though).