Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings! An inquisitive Coloradan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! I'm obviously new to the forum (1st post) and just wanted to say hi and I look forward to reading more on TMC. I've been interested in owning a Tesla for quite some time so I figured joining here would be a good first stop!

To those here, it (big IF) i were to get an older (2013-2015) Model S, is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum! It really is a great place to spend time reading and learning about all things Tesla, so enjoy the time spent.

As for looking at a pre-owned Tesla, I used ev-cpo.com or teslahunt.com to see what is in the Tesla CPO inventory. You can always post those you are interested here on the site and get opinions from others on value, options etc. But searching that site will let you know which options you like and figuring out which ones are most important to have.

One thing I would suggest with you living in Colorado is going for the Sub Zero package - the cabin heat takes quite a toll on the battery performance in the colder climates and having those additional heating features (steering wheel etc) that use less energy you can use to offset some of the heater use are worth it - IMO.

Welcome again, and enjoy the process!

Welcome! Drive units and door handles seem to be the big thing with older cars. Mine is a Dec 2015 build and has had no issues with either (knock wood). Maybe also look to see when the 12V battery was last replaced so it doesn’t wind up being a surprise a week after you get the car (or at least it wouldn’t catch you off-guard). Get the biggest battery you can, mountains and cold weather make it a bit more important.

Good luck, be careful test-driving. Lots of folks take a test drive and are never the same again.