Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings! BlackVue Install...best way to DIY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

New to the forum, first post, please be easy on me!

I plan to install the BlackVue 650 2-channel cameras to my pano roof 2016 Model S. Ideally I'd like constant power so the front and back cameras can also be on/activate even when the car is not being driven. But if it's too much effort I guess plugging into the cigarette lighter can also do, and the cameras would only work when the car is on.

So...

1. What is the best way (i.e. hidden cables) to do the constant power installation? What is the easiest way?
2. What is the best way (i.e. hidden cables) to do the lighter power instillation? What is the easiest way?

Any critical parts to buy to facilitate the hook-up to the power?

I have researched prior discussions/video on this, but haven't seen a universally agreed-upon way of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any info/links you may have!

1. Thread the power and 2nd cam wire through the liner into the microphone area. Cut the end off your lighter power cable, wire into the aux connector that's in the mic area. String the 2nd camera wire through to the trough in the pano-roof and run it along the drivers side to the rear C Pillar. Run wire down side of lining to the break, jump across (leaving just a little bit of slack for the raising of the hatch) and under the liner across the hatch. Place 2nd camera in the middle of the hatch.

Takes about 15 minutes at most and is trivially easy to do. People seem to freak out about installing this camera in their car and I have no idea why. It is, by far, the easiest car I have ever installed a dashcam in bar-none.

The tricky part is if you want to run the 2nd camera wire through the rubber conduit between the roof and hatch which would avoid the "jump across" method. From reading the threads, either option works and it becomes a preference; since you're open to using the "cigarette lighter" power approach, you probably won't mind more wire showing so, the "jump across" method will be a faster install.

Thanks, Naonak and Maximus8! Yes, I'm probably making too much of what is a relatively simple install.

I've heard care needs to be taken removing the covering for the microphone, as the attachments can break/difficult to close again. But that would be my preferred method of obtaining power for the cameras.

Thanks, Naonak and Maximus8! Yes, I'm probably making too much of what is a relatively simple install.

I've heard care needs to be taken removing the covering for the microphone, as the attachments can break/difficult to close again. But that would be my preferred method of obtaining power for the cameras.

The 4 clips that keep the grill attached are very sturdy. Don't be shy to apply force when pulling the grill down (towards the cabin). A clip or 2 may not come out with the grill so, all you will need to do is attach them. Unlike the plastic trim clips, the clips on the grill are metal and can handle the force without breaking. Also, be careful when handling the clips because the metal may have sharp edges; I used a needle nose plier.

It has a USB for recharging and full-time power. I'll leave it on full-time. The problem with batteries is in hot climates they can swell over time. In this case a camera with an ultracap may be preferable, but I'd still get the Session.

Only thing about the Session I don't like is no image stabilization. In a car vibration can result in out of focus at the worst times.

As a dashcam there is no difference between the Hero4 Silver and Black except 4k in the Black. But it overheats if you use 4k for too long, lol. And anyway, I'd want to store at least 24 hours.

Last edited:
Does the GoPro Session provide GPS and speed data?

No. And that's why it's not even a contest. The Session isn't better in every way. It's worse in almost every possible way:

Features Important for a car:

External Power: BV Yes GP Yes(?)
GPS Data: BV Yes | GP No
Acceleration Data: BV Yes | GP No
Mapping application: BV Yes | GP No
Dual Cameras (Front/Rear): BV Yes | GP No
Cloud video transfer (Auto): BV Yes | GP No
Speed Data embedded: BF Yes | GP No
Waterproof: BV No | GP Yes (Never know when you might want to take your car into a lake)
Must press button to record: BV No (Auto records) | GP Yes (Forget to press button? Too bad!)

There is basically zero features on the GoPro session that make it a good Dashcam. It's a fine action camera, but a horrible dashcam. The Blackvue is designed to be a Dashcam, the GoPro is not. They both do what they were designed to do very well, but they do not do what they aren't designed to do worth a crap.

Right tool for the right job and all that.

Well, I just leave the camera on, as I said. To each his own, that's why I'll not list the Blackvue's flaws.

Can the Blackvue even lock GPS through the nickel-plated windshield? And speed? Do you actually leave that on? Your video can be subpoenaed and used against you, you know, unless your driving is flawless all the time...

Last edited:
Well, I just leave the camera on, as I said. To each his own, that's why I'll not list the Blackvue's flaws.

Can the Blackvue even lock GPS through the nickel-plated windshield? And speed? Do you actually leave that on? Your video can be subpoenaed and used against you, you know, unless your driving is flawless all the time...
Every time my BV gets subpoenaed, I mean, EVERY TIME, the memory card overheats and melts. I have contacted CS and they haven't commented on the issue.

1. Thread the power and 2nd cam wire through the liner into the microphone area. Cut the end off your lighter power cable, wire into the aux connector that's in the mic area. String the 2nd camera wire through to the trough in the pano-roof and run it along the drivers side to the rear C Pillar. Run wire down side of lining to the break, jump across (leaving just a little bit of slack for the raising of the hatch) and under the liner across the hatch. Place 2nd camera in the middle of the hatch.

Takes about 15 minutes at most and is trivially easy to do. People seem to freak out about installing this camera in their car and I have no idea why. It is, by far, the easiest car I have ever installed a dashcam in bar-none.

Naonak
The aux connector in the MIC area, what are the 3 wires....I assume black is ground and green with red stripe is hot. What is the grey?

Yes, of course it can. Both of my Teslas have no problems with GPS. The radar detector range is noticeably reduced, though. GPS has zero problems. Why would I not leave that on? I'm not saying the Blackvue is without flaws, as it has many... but using a GoPro as a dashcam just doesn't make sense for daily driving. It makes sense for racing or other times when you are doing something unusual, but as a daily camera? No way.

As for my driving, it's always flawless. Situational awareness and an understanding of vehicle dynamics are a good combination and keeps you out of trouble.

Last edited:
Naonak
The aux connector in the MIC area, what are the 3 wires....I assume black is ground and green with red stripe is hot. What is the grey?

Definitely take a multimeter to them and find your ground and +12v wire. There's no telling whats going on with the wiring from car to car. I meter every wire I connect to, regardless of what anyone says on the interwebs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond and Maximus8
Apologies for not being super knowledgeable on dash cams.

Would anyone care to give a quick rundown on the cooler aspects of having a blackvue front + rear setup?

I have searched through a few threads. Read a few amazon reviews. Even read up on the BV650 on BV's website...but there are still a few questions that come to mind:

1) more of a statement, it sounds like you can tap into continuous power easily, and complete the whole front + rear setup easily in one day. This means, basically, once it's in, you're set and you don't have to fiddle with anything. The cams will literally run 24/7 if you want. And for all practical purposes will never run down your battery (since the drive battery continuously tops up the 12V battery)

2) how much video (in minutes) will fit on a 64G card?

3) let's guess that the answer to 2 is 15 hours of 2 channel (front + rear) HD video at 30fps. So, do you set it up so it simply is caching your last 15 hours? And, you hope if someone smashes your car while parked, that you return within 15 hours to stop recording?

4) it sounds like you could spin the front camera to look back at you. Sounds kinda fun. But, don't you want the camera hidden behind the rear view mirror? Which would block recording yourself singing bohemian rhapsody? Is there a trade off here?

5) is finding, and pulling just the video you want pretty easy?

6) for 5, do you just park in your driveway, assuming your car is within wifi range of your home, and you walk in to your house, sit at your iMac and just yank video off the cams over wifi (presumably while it could still be recording?)

7) if someone knew what to look for, and they smashed your window, couldn't they simply rip out the cam and you'd lose all your video? The cloud backup only works when you return home to wifi, yes? Are these cams much better for recording moving violations than stationary break ins?

8) am I missing any other really cool features?

9) is it worth waiting for the next generation of BV to come out? Sounds like there are a bunch of cons (not mentioned what) might they be solved in the next iteration?

Thanks!

Apologies for not being super knowledgeable on dash cams.

Would anyone care to give a quick rundown on the cooler aspects of having a blackvue front + rear setup?

I have searched through a few threads. Read a few amazon reviews. Even read up on the BV650 on BV's website...but there are still a few questions that come to mind:

1) more of a statement, it sounds like you can tap into continuous power easily, and complete the whole front + rear setup easily in one day. This means, basically, once it's in, you're set and you don't have to fiddle with anything. The cams will literally run 24/7 if you want. And for all practical purposes will never run down your battery (since the drive battery continuously tops up the 12V battery)

Yes, it's easy to tap in to, unless you are of the rare vintage car that doesn't have the little connector in the mic port. Then it becomes more problematic. Once it's in, you don't have to fiddle with it, except to format your MicroSD card once a month or so, depending on the card. The only reason to do that is to prevent write wearing of the card. The larger the card, the less often you have to do that.

2) how much video (in minutes) will fit on a 64G card?

Depends on if you are recording 1080p on both channels and at what framerate. 1080p @30fps is probably around 15 hours... I'm not sure.

3) let's guess that the answer to 2 is 15 hours of 2 channel (front + rear) HD video at 30fps. So, do you set it up so it simply is caching your last 15 hours? And, you hope if someone smashes your car while parked, that you return within 15 hours to stop recording?

Yes, but if you're parked, then you just set it to record on motion... then you save a lot of space since it will only record if something is happening around the car. If you are parked near Wifi, the 650 has built in cloud upload, so you can set it to upload all your data to the cloud as it goes along. Doesn't help if you're parked somewhere without wifi though.

4) it sounds like you could spin the front camera to look back at you. Sounds kinda fun. But, don't you want the camera hidden behind the rear view mirror? Which would block recording yourself singing bohemian rhapsody? Is there a trade off here?

You could.. it would be upside down, but that's an easy fix. I hide mine behind the rear view mirror, I have no need or desire to watch myself drive... although I would like that option for Ludicrous launches.

5) is finding, and pulling just the video you want pretty easy?
This is one of the areas where Blackvue kind of fails. If you are trying to do it over wifi, it sucks donkey-balls... it's much easier to take out the SD card and search for what you want on a computer. Blackvue needs work in this area.

6) for 5, do you just park in your driveway, assuming your car is within wifi range of your home, and you walk in to your house, sit at your iMac and just yank video off the cams over wifi (presumably while it could still be recording?)

See above ... you CAN do this, but I don't reccommend it. It's slow, slow, slow and kind of a clunky interface.

7) if someone knew what to look for, and they smashed your window, couldn't they simply rip out the cam and you'd lose all your video? The cloud backup only works when you return home to wifi, yes? Are these cams much better for recording moving violations than stationary break ins?

Yes, that's correct. I know of a guy who put in like 6 cameras around his car and had them uploading to a little mini-server in a lockbox in the trunk that was bolted to the frame... so even if someone stole everything in the car, the video was still safe in the trunk. That's a little extreme though.

8) am I missing any other really cool features?

One of the nicest features I like about the Blackvue is the mapping, GPS and speed data. You can follow your route on Google Maps via the Blackvue app, showing different speeds, etc..

9) is it worth waiting for the next generation of BV to come out? Sounds like there are a bunch of cons (not mentioned what) might they be solved in the next iteration?

No, I don't think waiting will get you much. They don't seem to fix the flaws very often, as they aren't so annoying that it makes people not buy them, they are just minor annoyances... so they don't have any incentive to fix them. The 650 is probably the closest I've seen to a perfect Dashcam. It's definitely not perfect (far from it) but from all the options out there, it's easily the best I've found. I would certaily be open to other ones if someone has a compelling argument for it.

You would need to have the camera connected to a WiFi hotspot to get it to upload to the cloud while you're away from home. You are correct, if someone knew where the camera is located and ripped it from the windshield, the thief would now possess your video.

You need to check your local laws pertaining to a dashcam. I believe there are laws regarding size and position of the dashcam so taking selfie like videos might be in violation (use a GoPro).

Pulling the video is easy. I use a spare iPod to pull the videos I want.