TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Greetings from Buffalo, NY

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LowlyOilBurner, Sep 10, 2017.

1. LowlyOilBurner

Hi all!

Perspective Model S buyer here from just outside of Buffalo, NY (South Wales, NY). I come from a long history of Volkswagens (TDI's), Audi's, a couple Subaru's, most recently a 2016 Volvo V60 (which was totaled in December of last year) now I'm currently in a 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription.

I've been binge watching Tesla videos on YouTube for the last three weeks, and have been lurking this board for the last two weeks. I'm pretty much 99% sure my next vehicle will be a new Model S in a year. I have scheduled a test drive at the Toronto-Oakville store/service center for next month to check out a Model S.

This brings me to my first of a few questions/concerns:

-Toronto is the closest service center/store to me, but I can't obviously buy the car there. I'd have to go to NYC to take delivery there. Not a deal breaker at all, but...

-What about service? These are man made machines and they break down. Also, I drive about 30,000miles a year, so I'd have to take the car in twice a year (every 12,500miles) for service. This is a bit of hassle having to drive to Cleveland or NYC for service. I know the Rangers can come to me, but they can't do alignments/major repairs I'd assume? Also, $3.00/mile from the nearest service center adds up quick.

None of this would be an issue if Tesla had a hub in Buffalo or Rochester. This is my major concern, the fact that I can't just drive 20miles and drop the car off for service, and pick up a loaner like I can do in with my Volvo.

Otherwise, I'm on board. I already have 100amp 230v service in my garage, have the spot picked out where I can mount a HPWC, and can't wait for my upcoming test drive!

So, if anybody from the Buffalo area is on here, love to hear how you deal with owning one of these things. I've got 1,000's of questions, but I won't bore everyone with them all at once!

Thanks!

2. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Hi, @LowlyOilBurner, welcome to the forums. I'm a double Syracuse grad, so bleed Orange and have many friends/family in upstate/western NY! :D

I agree that you'll be "buying" the car in NYC or Cleveland, but maybe you could go the home delivery route. That would save you the long drive down and back. And then on an ongoing basis, perhaps you could get your annual/12,500 service in Toronto? That would simplify things greatly. Also, many Tesla owners do not go ahead with the annual/12,500 mile service, but that's a judgment call that you'll have to make for yourself. I'm certainly planning on doing my first 12,500 mile service (which will be done well before a year is up, as I also drive a significant amount of miles each year). So how often you do the service is something you'd ultimately decide after you purchase your car. And I'd expect there are some upstate/western NY Tesla approved body shops that could handle certain repairs (but not things like annual services). Hopefully upstate/western NY will have a store/service center soon. I know Tesla is trying, they have just been limited by the NYS legislature.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

3. LowlyOilBurner

^Thanks for the input. I don't know if having service done in another country will fly or not? Especially if a loaner is needed?

4. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Cleveland is a great place to visit! Just saying.

Can you confirm they don't offer free ranger service in Buffalo? Maybe you can tell the sales office your concern and they could do something for you. They used to offer free ranger service in Pittsburgh before the service center opened.