Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings from New York City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

idoru

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2020
New York City
Hi TMC!

Been a lurker here for some time. I sold the last car I had in 2010, back in Australia before I moved to NYC for work - it was a 2004 Integra Type-R, which I think is an Acura RSX Type-S.

My partner and I have lived in Manhattan since, and almost never left the island in 10 years. Given the traffic and parking here, we didn't miss having a car at all. In the past 5 years though, we have added 3 young ones to the roster. While the school and shops are all a short walk away, the trips around the city where I've had to carry loaded double strollers up and down crowded subway stations has started to get old. Fast-forward to the pandemic, and we badly needed to get out of the city regularly.

So, we picked up our midnight silver metallic Model Y LR AWD on July 15th and we've clocked over 3000 miles so far on 6 camping trips and various other trips out of the city. I'm always very excited when we get an electric campsite :)

Parking and charging in the city is a bit sketchy, but the car has been a dream to drive on the long trips, and getting through sections of bad traffic have been quite relaxing with the help of autopilot. I almost wish I could convince the family to move out so we could get a house... with a solar setup... maybe... one day. It's nice to have dreams.

Anyhow, this site was a big help in researching for the big buy, as well as for camping. So, a big thanks to everyone in this great community!

Welcome aboard! Do you park it on the street?

Yes. It makes me a bit sad I can't give it the proper love and attention of a private parking space with an electric hookup. Definitely feel the irony when I have that luxury when we are parked at a state park campground with a hookup.

It's really just a weekend car - so I park it on the street at the start of the week with about 60-80% charge, move it once on alternate side cleaning day (which is really, really stressful). Leave Sentry Mode on all the time. So far the worst thing that's happened is someone smeared dog poop on one of the wheels. Hopefully the wrap I put on it will defend against anything someone might inflict on it, and at the least I'll get to see the perp on video. With all the street activity, it loses about 5-7% a day.

My apartment building has a very inaccessible L1/L2 charger (it's often blocked), but I move the car there on Friday in the middle of the night when nobody is there, and it's usually charged up anywhere from 80-95% before we head out on our trips on Saturday morning.

Hi TMC!

Been a lurker here for some time. I sold the last car I had in 2010, back in Australia before I moved to NYC for work - it was a 2004 Integra Type-R, which I think is an Acura RSX Type-S.

My partner and I have lived in Manhattan since, and almost never left the island in 10 years. Given the traffic and parking here, we didn't miss having a car at all. In the past 5 years though, we have added 3 young ones to the roster. While the school and shops are all a short walk away, the trips around the city where I've had to carry loaded double strollers up and down crowded subway stations has started to get old. Fast-forward to the pandemic, and we badly needed to get out of the city regularly.

So, we picked up our midnight silver metallic Model Y LR AWD on July 15th and we've clocked over 3000 miles so far on 6 camping trips and various other trips out of the city. I'm always very excited when we get an electric campsite :)

Parking and charging in the city is a bit sketchy, but the car has been a dream to drive on the long trips, and getting through sections of bad traffic have been quite relaxing with the help of autopilot. I almost wish I could convince the family to move out so we could get a house... with a solar setup... maybe... one day. It's nice to have dreams.

Anyhow, this site was a big help in researching for the big buy, as well as for camping. So, a big thanks to everyone in this great community!
Congrats to the car! We used to live on the Upper East Side with our first Tesla. We had a deal where we paid a $50 extra each month for unlimited charging (Icon Parking btw). The parking attendants always kept the car plugged in at a 120V spot. If we needed to charge faster/be ready for a road trip, we called and they moved the car to their level 2 when it became available. Maybe try something like that at your apartment building?

Reactions: MichaelP90DL