Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings. Yeah, my first post is about uncorking. Sorry!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends!

After renting a P100D L+ Model X and taking it to the Grand Canyon, I've driven the entire S3XY line. Rented the X and an S, and test drove a 3 and a Y.

I've decided I want an S.

I've always been a big proponent of electric vehicles, but am of modest means.

So I want to get a used Model S with the full glass roof. I'm 6'4", and the S we rented back in the day had the full glass roof. I loved it.

But I'm wondering whether I should look at getting the 75 or the 75D. I really enjoyed the acceleration on the MS75D we rented.

But, If I can save a few thousand dollars and get an uncorked 75, that will do 0-60 in 4.3 as opposed to 4.2, I think it would be money well saved.

The thing is, I'm a researcher, and I've looked into this thoroughly on the various Tesla forums.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether a 75 can be uncorked. There's a date in June 2017 that seems to get thrown around a lot.

So, can all of the 75s produced after that date still be uncorked if they aren't already?

And is there a definitive way to tell if a 75 (or 75D) you don't own has been uncorked already?

Again, sorry for this question. I wouldn't post it if there wasn't such conflicting information out there.

Attachments

• messages_0 (3).jpeg
    messages_0 (3).jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 95
Oh cool! When did they stop making the full glass roof, though? Did they ever? I thought they only made it from 2016-2018, but it looks like they're making them again. And when I click "glass roof" on the official used Tesla site it only brings up 2017s. Maybe I should be looking elsewhere...

Oh cool! When did they stop making the full glass roof, though? Did they ever? I thought they only made it from 2016-2018, but it looks like they're making them again. And when I click "glass roof" on the official used Tesla site it only brings up 2017s. Maybe I should be looking elsewhere...

became standard 2018 on, before 2017 you had to option it with a glass roof, after 2018 it doesn't matter anymore because there was no non-glass roof cars, only option after that is the one that can open

@coalesce99 Depending on your budget I would recommend getting an S made after April 2018 (that excludes the 75D) so that you can get MCU2 and AP 2.5 as well as a greater range (100D vs. 75D).
Or add MCU2 and AP3 to the cars he’s looking at for $2,000 after the fact. Given the availability of the retrofit there would appear to be zero reason to recommend people look at newer cars for this reason alone.

OP, there is no after the fact “uncorking” for the RWD 75. They either left the factory that way or not. The ~July 2017 date you’re referencing is accurate. Cars produced after that date do 0-60 in 4.3. Unlike the 75D, no 75s were ever “uncorked” after they left the factory.

Or add MCU2 and AP3 to the cars he’s looking at for $2,000 after the fact. Given the availability of the retrofit there would appear to be zero reason to recommend people look at newer cars for this reason alone.

OP, there is no after the fact “uncorking” for the RWD 75. They either left the factory that way or not. The ~July 2017 date you’re referencing is accurate. Cars produced after that date do 0-60 in 4.3. Unlike the 75D, no 75s were ever “uncorked” after they left the factory.
Thank you! Man I can't wait. Soon!

OP appears to be quite price conscious, so I’m not sure what this advice accomplishes. Nor is there anything magic about a 2018+ car in terms of range. You can get the same range in a 2017 car for example. So again, I don’t understand the advice.

Yeah, I really don't want to go above the $40k -$50k range. As much as I'd like a Plaid model, It just wouldn't be responsible. Responsibility, am I right friends? LOL

Really, I've just loved driving all the Teslas I've driven, have always been a huge proponent of electric vehicles, and want no part of owning a Nissan Leaf.

The S was my favorite model to drive, and I like the look of the 2016.5 and on very much. Therefore, I just want to get into one as cheaply as possible, with a couple caveats.

1. 2016.5+
2. Glass roof

Getting a 75D instead of 75 would be nice, and I like the smart air suspension since I hate bottoming-out cars, so we'll see when my investments come in.

So I just got some great news. I took a big gamble on my inheritance, and it looks like it's going to pay off handsomely.

I want to get a dual motor model S. Probably 75D. I'm in Kansas City, we get snow, so I think it's the right move.

Is there a certain manufacture date after which all 75Ds CAN be uncorked? Or a certain date after which all 75Ds WERE uncorked? I'm looking at like a 2017 or 2018.

I assume the Model S has a manufacture date listed on the car? Tesla's used site is pretty lacking on used Model Ss right now, so I've been looking on Cars.com etc. My thinking is I can just ask the seller for a manufacture date...