Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gremlin in my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So weird stuff happened today.
Or it started in the midle of the night when the anti theft alarm went of, waking all the neigbours.
Turned it off, and went to bed, just to be woken up again two hours later. This time I opened and closed the driver door and let it stand unlocked to prevent it from going off again.

When I started the car this morning I noticed that I did not get the "disarm before driving" that I usually get if it has been standing unlocked for some time.
Well, arriving at my office I put it on charge without any problem, but my car did not lock by keyfob. After trying a few times I gave up and went inside.
A couple of hours later I was heading out to a customer, when I approched the car I noticed that the head lights was on as well as the alphine and "gear change" buttons. Keys was in my pocket.
Entering the car it behaved like the "ignition" was on, alerting my that the door was open with key in lock. Ooookay.
Trying to start and drive the car was impossible, hitting me with different error messages, like air bag failure.
Called up Tesla support and he quickly pointed at problem with the CAN bus.
Following his instructions I Disconnected and reconnected the plugs to the controler box under the dash. After a "reboot" the error messages dissapeared, and it was possible to set the car in gear and drive. But without anything in the dash (no speedometer, odometer etc), no turn signals, no assisted brakes and so on. In addition, when turning the "ignition" off and removing the key nothing hapened. Was still possible to drive the car!!!

Luckily Tesla Service center is only a few blocks away, so I drove the car like that and handed it over to them. Problem is that they only have one guy there who has ever touched a Roadster, so things often take a long time there.
Anyway, If the Roadster is anything like my previous EV's, disconnecting the 12Volt and reconnect it after a while might have solved the problem, but it's up to them now.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

As a note: I do have a OVMS module installed and it does have CAN bus write enabled (only used it once to unlock the doors long time ago), but disconnecting it made no difference.

I have seen some strange situations with other owners (and not necessarily Tesla owners) where animals got under their cars and chewed on some of the wires. This could be what's happening here. It sounds like at a minimum that something got disconnected or was overloaded.

It was good you took your Roadster to the Tesla Service Center for this. Hopefully they fix it for you soon!

I had a wiring connection that was unsealed and let it get wet inside. Caused all sorts of strange random things and messages to occur. Was a very easy fix (by Service Center), so hopefully it is something simple like that for you too.

They think they have found some problem.
Not long ago I had a problem with the door locks and they changed some parts, it seems like the technician then placed a cable at the wrong location, resulting in damaging the cable and shorting something out.

Still waiting for the car, they needed to get some parts.
In the mean time I had the pleasure of driving a P85D for a 560 km (348 miles) round-trip this weekend, so finaly got to try out this nifty Super chargers, very nice. Great car and fun with the insane mode, but still miss the roadster.

Still waiting for the car, they needed to get some parts.
In the mean time I had the pleasure of driving a P85D for a 560 km (348 miles) round-trip this weekend, so finaly got to try out this nifty Super chargers, very nice. Great car and fun with the insane mode, but still miss the roadster.

One of life's little tragedies as a Roadster owner - sometimes we have to let them go for a short time, and drive a Model S to ease the burden. The world understands that great sacrifices must be made, yet grants us little sympathy :)

Just got my car back.
They don't really know exactly what happened, but it seems like it was not due to a damaged wire after all.
They supect it had something to do with my key fob beeing damaged and caused the car to get into a deadlock limbo state. I was unable to talk to the technician directly so I don't know what they actually did, but they have ordered a new keyfob for me, and I had a spare so at least I am back on the road...