Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Market Tesla Model S SIM swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help with this.

After reading the Tesla Model S, Service manual, i found out that it is possible to swap the SIM card and there’s a procedure for it, has anyone done this? specially on a grey market Tesla?

Nsilu

Why do you want to swap it?

The SIM Card is located inside the MCU for US built cars, the swapping is plug-and-play no software-related work required to make it work unless you brought your car from another market (e.g. US import to the EU).

I am considering the purchase of a Model 3 or Y and importing it to the Bahamas. Teslas are not sold here. I already own a Model Y in NC where I also have a home. Tesla connectivity is not available in The Bahamas. Is it possible to change the SIM to a Bahamian issued SIM card and enjoy the Tesla connectivity Apps? I don’t mind if I still have to pay Tesla for use of its Apps. Is there any other work around?

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I am currently in The Bahamas and not able to try out your suggestion. However, I have been told by Tesla owners here who have tried using a Wifi hotspot from their phone that it works when the car is in Park, but as soon as you put the car in Drive the hotspot disconnects. One option would be to somehow prevent putting the car in Drive from disengaging the Wifi connection. I suspect Tesla is loathe to do this as it would give everyone the option to opt out of the Tesla Connectivity. I would be prepared to continue to pay Tesla the $10.00/mo if we can somehow disengage this feature And use a hotspot.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I am currently in The Bahamas and not able to try out your suggestion. However, I have been told by Tesla owners here who have tried using a Wifi hotspot from their phone that it works when the car is in Park, but as soon as you put the car in Drive the hotspot disconnects. One option would be to somehow prevent putting the car in Drive from disengaging the Wifi connection. I suspect Tesla is loathe to do this as it would give everyone the option to opt out of the Tesla Connectivity. I would be prepared to continue to pay Tesla the $10.00/mo if we can somehow disengage this feature And use a hotspot.
Supposedly in software 2021.24+ you can remain connected to Wifi while in Drive: