Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey or chrome rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I am finalizing my order for a Model S P+, and I am having a significant amount of trouble deciding on colors. Informal polls of friends and family are split down the middle, so no help there. I realize it is a matter of opinion and preference, but was wondering what people thought. I am planning to get the Model S P+ (with 21" wheels) with black exterior and the grey interior. (Have been waffling back and forth between that and the dark grey exterior.)

For those of you that have seen them, do you like the grey or chrome rims better with the black exterior? Sorry, did not see a way to post a poll. Thank you.

Do you mean the dark grey 21s versus the silver 21s? Or are you planning on aftermarket chrome wheels? In case you want to see what a black Model S with machined (not quite as shiny as chrome) wheels looks like, here's mine:
new_wheels_trimmed.jpg

I would have gone with black wheels if there wasn't so much chrome on the car already. If you are deciding between the factory options, I would go with the dark grey wheels with black exterior.

Do you mean the dark grey 21s versus the silver 21s? Or are you planning on aftermarket chrome wheels? In case you want to see what a black Model S with machined (not quite as shiny as chrome) wheels looks like, here's mine: I would have gone with black wheels if there wasn't so much chrome on the car already. If you are deciding between the factory options, I would go with the dark grey wheels with black exterior.

Thank you. No, I was just wanting to take a poll for the 21" dark grey/silver factory rims. Not aftermarket, although that is very nice looking.

Ok, yeah, that is beautiful. I hope I am not offending anyone by saying this, but seems to me that the grey rims look make it look more like a sports car (like a Jag XFR-S), while the silver rims are more like a hyper-fast touring sedan (like a Lexus LS460). Still can't decide.

Ok, yeah, that is beautiful. I hope I am not offending anyone by saying this, but seems to me that the grey rims look make it look more like a sports car (like a Jag XFR-S), while the silver rims are more like a hyper-fast touring sedan (like a Lexus LS460). Still can't decide.
My wife and I agree that the grey rims look more masculine and the silver wheels less masculine. Since the model S is her car she chose Grey paint and silver wheels.

I'm biased, but definitely go with the grey wheels. I think they look much better than the silver 21's. If you're fixed on the black exterior, that's a good choice. However, here's a pic of my blue/tan to try and sway you my way... :)

You'll be thrilled regardless.

Blue MSP.jpg

My wife and I agree that the grey rims look more masculine and the silver wheels less masculine. Since the model S is her car she chose Grey paint and silver wheels.

That's really funny - when I was asking around, literally had a split of 5 for grey and 5 for silver. 4 out of 5 for the grey were guys; 4 out of 5 for silver were women.

So you're describing my dream config -- Black 85 P+ w/grey interior and carbon fiber.

I've seen several black Model S in real life, some with silver 21" wheels and some with grey 21" wheels. I prefer the silver wheels. I like the contrast of the silver off the black; I'd call it an "executive" look. The grey wheels look good to me, too, but are just not my personal style. I'd call it the "sinister" look, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way at all. It just wouldn't fit my personality. I'm not badass enough for that. :cool:

I'm slightly partial to the grey, very sleek and makes the car look lower to the ground.

Just saw this iMovie creation posted on youtube, pretty fun video and it shows both wheels on two Model S' for a quick comparison...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean the dark grey 21s versus the silver 21s? Or are you planning on aftermarket chrome wheels? In case you want to see what a black Model S with machined (not quite as shiny as chrome) wheels looks like, here's mine:
View attachment 23508

I would have gone with black wheels if there wasn't so much chrome on the car already. If you are deciding between the factory options, I would go with the dark grey wheels with black exterior.
Nice, can you share the make/model/size?

My wife and I went through the same dilemma with our order of our black P85+. We originally ordered it with grey 21" wheels. I waffled back and forth and had the advantage of seeing both silver and grey on local black Model Ss. We ended up changing the design to Silver because I liked the contrast better than the black on black.

I guess that it won't matter for too long anyway, I have some aftermarket wheels in mind for the car once we take delivery. My vote is silver though....although, if you get the grey wheels and end up not liking them, I'm sure someone on the forum would be willing to trade them more easily.