Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Rims ONLY on Performance?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed helping a friend design a Model S that you can ONLY get the Grey Rims on the Performance version. The option is not there. When switching to Performance you can pick grey or silver. Reasons? Thoughts? My friend wants the 85kw but doesn't need Performance but LOVES the Grey Rims! Heres a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 1.32.56 PM.png

Yeah I think it's just one of those things that sets the performance version apart from standard along with the spoiler
his best bet could either be go with the 19s and purchase the 21s separately, or go with silver 21s and powder coat them

- - - Updated - - -

must have 'changed' again ?
If I'm not mistaken the grey wheels were always only for performance versions

They originally called them "Performance Rims" and were only available for the Performance version. Then they put them in the online store so obviously anyone could buy them. Then I believe they were in the design studio for the standard vehicle. And now, back to the beginning of the loop?

You can configure a Performance so that it's pretty hard to tell, if you skip various options.

It is a Performance if:

- it has a P85 logo (early cars were delivered without, but can be retrofitted at no cost)
- it has a carbon fiber dash (optional)
- it has a carbon fiber spoiler (optional)
- it has the grey wheels (optional, and you can buy them separately so you can't really go by this)
- it has alacantra accents (or it's Signature)
- it has contrast piping and alacantra bolsters on the seats

I think that's the full list. I think the only sure-fire way to spot a Performance is to look for the contrast piping on the seats.

Last edited:
Same for me, so I think you can remove that one from the list : - it shows Performance on the console when you get in

Okay, that's right... I was thinking of the Signature display. I removed it from the list.

- - - Updated - - -

The contrast piping is how I determine if someone has it or not, but that's not as easy to tell if they are driving.

Right. I think that's the only sure fire way to tell.