Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid Charge Powerwall with Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installer got on the phone with Tesla and he said we need to remove the software restriction because the power company allows it. Tesla rep said really? Interesting, ok it's removed should be about 10 minutes until the powerwall recognizes it.

It actually took about 2 hours but works without a hitch!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Installer got on the phone with Tesla and he said we need to remove the software restriction because the power company allows it. Tesla rep said really? Interesting, ok it's removed should be about 10 minutes until the powerwall recognizes it.

It actually took about 2 hours but works without a hitch!

Congratulations. I lost track of this thread, but you're SRP right? Does this effect the rebate at all - i.e. do you have to forego the battery rebate to get grid charging turned on?

Congratulations. I lost track of this thread, but you're SRP right? Does this effect the rebate at all - i.e. do you have to forego the battery rebate to get grid charging turned on?

Yeah SRP lost my interconnect agreement and also my installers certificate in liou of inspection so it took an additional 3 weeks before anyone noticed that commissioning wasn't scheduled.

I do not lose the SRP credit, technically the ITC is a different story...

Interesting thread, I might forgo the tax credit of $6300 in lieu of being able to charge from the grid in the evening. All I need to do is call Tesla and tell them I want grid charging turned on since Tesla did my install? Do I need to provide documentation that I did/will not request the tax credit?

I’m also SRP.

And on a cloudy day with very little production but proof of dual charging

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-27-11-54-41.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-27-11-54-41.png
    743.8 KB · Views: 152
Well after 45mins and 3 transfers I got no where with Tesla turning on my powerwalls to grid charge let alone telling me the exact rule/regulation. They would not even say it’s an internal policy, Tesla just keep quoting the ITC regulation lol. Which I promptly relied yup I won’t file then do you want to see my taxes next year because I’m not lying on my taxes for $6300 tax credit lol. I even offered to get a letter from SRP if that would help Tesla just kept saying its not allowed.

They did send me this link.... Combining Systems | Powerwall Support

It does say Tesla Powerwalls will not be able to charge from the grid, but it doesn’t exact say why you cannot or won’t or if it is a choice.....I just want to know why now. I was almost ready to give in now I’m curious.

I asked to get escalated to the next tier and asked for a case number because I got the impression Tesla wasn’t interested in moving forward with my request. If anyone calls Tesla asking for grid charging I suggest they get a case number.

I guess I need to understand what Fonzi’s installer said to Tesla, also was his installer SVSS? I used Tesla, so I don’t have anyone to call on my behalf.

Well after 45mins and 3 transfers I got no where with Tesla turning on my powerwalls to grid charge let alone telling me the exact rule/regulation. They would not even say it’s an internal policy, Tesla just keep quoting the ITC regulation lol. Which I promptly relied yup I won’t file then do you want to see my taxes next year because I’m not lying on my taxes for $6300 tax credit lol. I even offered to get a letter from SRP if that would help Tesla just kept saying its not allowed.

They did send me this link.... Combining Systems | Powerwall Support

It does say Tesla Powerwalls will not be able to charge from the grid, but it doesn’t exact say why you cannot or won’t or if it is a choice.....I just want to know why now. I was almost ready to give in now I’m curious.

I asked to get escalated to the next tier and asked for a case number because I got the impression Tesla wasn’t interested in moving forward with my request. If anyone calls Tesla asking for grid charging I suggest they get a case number.

I guess I need to understand what Fonzi’s installer said to Tesla, also was his installer SVSS? I used Tesla, so I don’t have anyone to call on my behalf.

My installer simply asked them to remove the restriction as my power company allows charging from grid. Litterally exactly what he said. Do you have a contact for the solar team that installed? Dominic from SRP distributed energy (solar department) is the one who confirmed SRP wants us to be able to charge from grid.

You just need not an idiot to help. Also I'm raising fires for them right now and told their team this is allowed and they'll see it more often... Try calling in and asking for Omar, he helped me this morning and escalated two tickets for me. He saw and understands SRP allows charging from grid and solar simultaneously.

Thanks Fonzi. I agree I did not have the most confident person on the line as it bugs me when people are afraid to say I don't know. They instead make things up on the fly or repeat the same message without backing it up with facts. I will give the Tesla rep a thumbs up for at least trying as I was asking some difficult questions.

I will see what Tesla has to come back with since I have an open case number. I will name drop Omar when/if they call me back. It will most likely be after the new years before they reach out.

You wouldn't happen to have Omar's last name that you could send me privately if you feel that is OK. I can then email him directly.

On a side note at least the sun is shining today, my batteries were dead.

Thanks Fonzi. I agree I did not have the most confident person on the line as it bugs me when people are afraid to say I don't know. They instead make things up on the fly or repeat the same message without backing it up with facts. I will give the Tesla rep a thumbs up for at least trying as I was asking some difficult questions.

I will see what Tesla has to come back with since I have an open case number. I will name drop Omar when/if they call me back. It will most likely be after the new years before they reach out.

You wouldn't happen to have Omar's last name that you could send me privately if you feel that is OK. I can then email him directly.

On a side note at least the sun is shining today, my batteries were dead.

Good luck, I did not get a last name but when he calls back I will just in case yours isn't figured out before then.

Just an FYI to all the folks curious about charging from the grid. I did manage to get Tesla to admit if I sent a letter saying I wasn’t going to claim my tax credit that they would forward it to the appropriate folks to see about allowing me to charge from the grid. I got the impression she was trying to call my bluff on seeking counsel. Problem here is everyone knows a lawyer because everyone works in a corporate environment these days lol.

There was some confusion that the rep could not answer - what exactly the letter needed to say and if it needed to come from a lawyer or my tax accountant. She keep going back and forth on that, it was quite confusing. I have requested a supervisor to call me and since they never called me back from our last conversation about a month ago I don’t expect them to call me back. They just don’t want to deal with these requests and continue to repeat the same thing over and over again lol. I do commend her on her ability to tow the company line it was quite impressive.

I will probably get my friend who is a lawyer and my tax accountant to write me a cool letter and send it to them for the heck of it to see what they say. It’s almost comical at the level of walls they are putting up to not let this happen.

Just an FYI to all the folks curious about charging from the grid. I did manage to get Tesla to admit if I sent a letter saying I wasn’t going to claim my tax credit that they would forward it to the appropriate folks to see about allowing me to charge from the grid. I got the impression she was trying to call my bluff on seeking counsel. Problem here is everyone knows a lawyer because everyone works in a corporate environment these days lol.

There was some confusion that the rep could not answer - what exactly the letter needed to say and if it needed to come from a lawyer or my tax accountant. She keep going back and forth on that, it was quite confusing. I have requested a supervisor to call me and since they never called me back from our last conversation about a month ago I don’t expect them to call me back. They just don’t want to deal with these requests and continue to repeat the same thing over and over again lol. I do commend her on her ability to tow the company line it was quite impressive.

I will probably get my friend who is a lawyer and my tax accountant to write me a cool letter and send it to them for the heck of it to see what they say. It’s almost comical at the level of walls they are putting up to not let this happen.
Interesting, keep us informed. So, they did not tell you about needing anything in writing from you power company? Like would I need something from PGE? Since I am SGIP ER, I am not doing the ITC anyways. I keep asking this and since either no one else has thought of it, or thinks outside the box, I currently am being told cannot be done. But, sounds like with the right contacts, possible. No way I could keep my batteries charged in the winter. And they are wanting me to cycle them. The SGIP cycle just assumes you use what you use. Great, but I gave green button data coming from the grid, not my solar or batteries. So to think I can use my normal amount from solar or a battery that cannot be charged in the winter is impossible.

Keep us informed

I tried Googling the requirement but did not find anything. I am not sure this is relevant to this thread except for charging from the grid. Is that what the solution would be for you?.
The ability to charge from the grid, during low production days, like from storm clouds or fire smoke, would allow me to more easily meet
my obligation.

FYI, it is in the SGIP handbook v9 I believe like page 49 ish. But yep, for another thread.

Reactions: Ampster
He and I have had a long offline discussion and I can summarize. His obligation is based on his future SGIP rebate. Interestingly it is an obligation to discharge 52 complete cycles a year. If I remember the ITC obligation is to charge from solar a similar amount of times.

The ITC requirement is to charge from solar only, not the grid. There are no cycle requirements (charge or discharge) for the ITC.

Status
Not open for further replies.