Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid Charging Came in Handy During Reroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my house reroofed last week and finished reinstalling the panels today. Because we were without solar on the hottest week of year, I was worried about potential power outage draining my battery. Glad we had grid charging enabled, not only was I able to recharge my PW after a 30 minute outage, I was still able to use my PW to power my house during peak time, saving the grid and saving us money.

Didy you install solar on that house? How long has the solar been on the roof? Was needing to reroof anticipated? I thought most installers wouldn't install on a roof with less than 10 years of expected life. Of course I had interesting experiencing of buying a property with solar on it (less than 3 years old) and the roof membrane needing to be replaced. Luckily that was an install from era of Solar City giving $500 removal/reinstall charges in their contracts

Didy you install solar on that house? How long has the solar been on the roof? Was needing to reroof anticipated? I thought most installers wouldn't install on a roof with less than 10 years of expected life. Of course I had interesting experiencing of buying a property with solar on it (less than 3 years old) and the roof membrane needing to be replaced. Luckily that was an install from era of Solar City giving $500 removal/reinstall charges in their contracts
My solar was installed by Sunrun. I contacted them and asked them which roofers they use for repairs. I then contacted those roofers, all of whom are contracted with Sunrun and have licensed electricians who can remove and reinstall the panels. They did the uninstall on Monday. Shingle removal on Tuesday. Underlayment on Wednesday. Finished shingling on Thursday. Panels would have gone up on Friday, but the electrician was at another job so I had to wait until Tuesday of the next week for reinstall (Labor Day Monday). Took two days for reinstall because of the heat. The roof got way too hot to work on. But got one string up and running on Tuesday (so I had some solar production.) The whole system running by midmorning yesterday.

I could have also had Sunrun remove and reinstall, but it would have taken even longer and cost more money. They wanted to take the panels off the week before and put them back up the week after, then wait for inspection before they turn them back on. We would have been 3-4 week's without solar, instead of the 1-1.5 weeks.

Just so I wouldn't lose my warranty I had to fill out a form for Sunrun with the roofer's license number and they approved it

• Informative
Reactions: arnolddeleon
This work project was scheduled two months ago. And of course it happened to be the hottest week of the year. But glad they got it done because it started raining today, and of course our fist full day of solar after the completion, there is little sun . This weekend we're expecting over an inch of rain from former hurricane Kay
Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 26