Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid outage, Powerwall drops loads for minutes

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Had a couple of grid glitches today, Powerwalls worked as expected. Some lights blinked and my computer that is not on UPS reported power issues and rebooted. Ting reported at least one of the issues as brownout with voltage dropping to 60V. Despite the weather the photovoltaic systems managed to eek 26.9 kWh today.

Thats good news at least. Glad they worked as expected this time.

roblab

Jul 15, 2008
Angwin (Napa Valley) CA
Do you have Storm watch enabled? My powerwalls have been sitting at between 97 and 100% since Stormwatch kicked on last night. They did some grid charging last night to top off.
Nope. Don't bother with it, as I never know if the outage will be 3 minutes or 3 weeks, and we get both. Usually power is fine during a storm, so you never can tell.

Had a couple of grid glitches today, Powerwalls worked as expected. Some lights blinked and my computer that is not on UPS reported power issues and rebooted. Ting reported at least one of the issues as brownout with voltage dropping to 60V. Despite the weather the photovoltaic systems managed to eek 26.9 kWh today.
Thanks for your information regarding the "Ting" sensor - didn't know even such a thing existed. I think I'm going to order one. It looks pretty neat (and informative).

Do you really plug it in anywhere in the house? Or is a certain physical location or circuit preferred?

Fruitcake

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Thanks for your information regarding the "Ting" sensor - didn't know even such a thing existed. I think I'm going to order one. It looks pretty neat (and informative).

Do you really plug it in anywhere in the house? Or is a certain physical location or circuit preferred?

Fruitcake
yes, I just picked an outlet that wasn't in use. If you are insured by State Farm check to see if you can get one for free.

Reactions: n.one.one
yes, I just picked an outlet that wasn't in use. If you are insured by State Farm check to see if you can get one for free.
Nope, I am instead insured by the old-school "Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire" - conveniently shortened to just "Philadelphia Contributionship Insurance" when writing checks for policy premiums. Fun fact: it's the oldest insurance company in America. One of the many things founded by Benjamin Franklin when he wasn't inventing post offices, bifocals, and major research universities. (He probably would have also invented Ting in his day, so as to better measure the amount of electrocution he would experience by flying kites in thunderstorms. But they didn't have good 802.11 in the Philadelphia area at the time.)

Fruitcake

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
I had a planned grid outage today for 6 hours. Completely forgot about it as it was a few miles away replacing some poles. Just happened to glance at my phone and the Tesla app had put an icon in the alert bar letting me know I was in backup mode (Android and still on 3.10.14). I was really pleased at how all this worked today. Here is my set up:
  • Dow Solar shingles with Fronius Inverter
  • Solar Flower with Fronius Inverter
  • Tesla Solar Roof with Solar Edge Inverter
  • (2) Powerwall 2's
Like I said, I did not realize I was in backup mode. At the time it started my PWs were about 82% and all three solar systems kept producing until I got to about 95%. Then the production dropped below about 8kW. The two Fronius inverters rarely came back online until the power was restored. I saw about 2 events where they were back up again when my load increased because of hot tub and a well pump. However the Solar Edge was constantly varying from off to 400 watts to 1500 watts depending on the status of the PWs. I never saw the PWs go below 98%.

I was really surprised to see the granularity of the systems and how it all responded so well with varying loads and discharges over the six hours. This gives me great confidence that if I needed to go off grid for multiple days I would be in great shape (if the sun shined 🙂 ).

Reactions: morph3ous and Vines

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC