TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grid Services monitoring and Storm Watch

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Shygar, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Shygar

Shygar Member

I saw these notes in the new Android app (3.4.3-349):

The Storm Watch sounds interesting. I wonder how it will work with TBC. Guessing it will leave a higher reserve in case of the chance of a power outage.

2. cwied

cwied Member

Hmm, I wonder if the first entry means that Grid Services will be rolled out more universally. I'm doing OhmConnect right now, but would be interested if there were a more sophisticated option.

3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

This sounds like it could be similar to the feature I've been asking for. While it would be better if one could charge from the grid in case there's a storm coming, it could be somewhat helpful if the Powerwalls could automatically set a higher reserve.

I did notice the release note mentions "in selected regions" so it's possible this feature will only work for those in Australia and other countries where they can charge their Powerwalls from the grid (or perhaps for those who have Powerwalls without solar).

I'm not getting any SGIP or ITC on my Powerwalls so it would be nice if I could charge mine from the grid, if necessary, in anticipation of a coming storm.

• Like x 2
  4. GenSao

GenSao Member

Here is a screenshot of Storm Watch under customize. It is a toggle on/off. There is a mini animation below.
    Screenshot_2018-08-06-17-54-30.png
    I am in PG&E land in the SF bay area.

• Informative x 1
  5. Shygar

Shygar Member

Nice, was automatically selected for me

6. eml2

eml2 Member

I also get it today. PW is 1.20.0 and Tesla app is 3.4.3. I am in Massachusetts.

7. UCIBtheG

UCIBtheG Member

I've had my PowerWall 2 working for a few weeks now, and it's been great (using for time of day load shifting, no solar). I noticed today that it did not cut over to the PowerWall to power the home at noon (starting partial peak) like it has been normally. I noticed the StormWatch setting, turned it off, and shortly after (maybe 5-10 minutes later) it started pulling from the PW as it should have.

Here in northern California, we don't have any storms brewing, just a lot of smoky air from all the fires. I think there's either a bug in their programming or in their storm detection.

8. Shygar

Shygar Member

Mine discharged fine yesterday. And actually the smoky sky reduced my solar generation a little bit more than usual I think

9. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Member

Hmmmm.. still no Storm Watch for me (fw 1.20 app v3.4.3) here in AUS so I suspect "selected regions" is US only at this stage?

10. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

Fire storm? Actually, with a nearby fire, I'd switch it to charge more. PGE is going to turn off power in areas with fires.

• Informative x 1
  11. Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else Member

So, the battery will charge from the grid to provide backup. But Tesla's warranty provides unlimited cycles only for "Solar self-consumption/ back-up only", which the footnote "Storing solar energy generated by an onsite array, and using that stored solar energy (i) for daily self-consumption and/or (ii) for use as back-up power."

I hope Tesla will remember that they caused the battery to charge from the grid.

• Informative x 2