Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid shut off for inverter frequency test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
I just got my kill a watt tester so figured I would try to see if my GW was lowered in frequency cut off.

So plugged the unit in outlet, 60 hz. Tripped one 200amp breaker to house, and came back in. Frequency now 62.5hz, which I assume means Tesla lowered it for me.

The tesla app shows Grid off and solar dead. All house power coming from batteries.

Put grid power back on. No grid or solar. I watch the frequency slowing dropping back. At around maybe 60.5 hz, it goes right to 60. The app now says grid back supplying
house, not batteries, and no solar. I go look at inverter and it is waking up again. After a while, it engages and everything is back to normal.

Man, that was sure an easy way to check if mine had been lowered. So, I guess this is where I want it?

The even easier way to confirm is to just check the API when off-grid - no equipment needed. In any event, it sounds like it is working as you requested with the lower frequency.
I am pretty technical, but doing a google on an API, unless I am missing something, no way is that easy for the average person! I just plug the kill a watt in, need no more interfaces, and watch it. But, there is always 10 ways to skin a cat.

I am pretty technical, but doing a google on an API, unless I am missing something, no way is that easy for the average person! I just plug the kill a watt in, need no more interfaces, and watch it. But, there is always 10 ways to skin a cat.
It's just a matter of opening the local API via the IP address, logging in, and going to a website. The benefit is you don't need to buy any equipment if you are not somebody who would otherwise get use out of the device.

Gives
battery
last_communication_time"2021-04-24T00:14:38.490514167-04:00"
instant_power0
instant_reactive_power630
instant_apparent_power630
frequency60.012
energy_exported489050
energy_imported614840
instant_average_voltage244.10000000000002
instant_total_current-0.4
i_a_current0
i_b_current0
i_c_current0
Nice - thanks for the guidance. Is there a trick to formatting the output ? I get a long string. Can find the data easily enough, but is there a switch setting or option to get a formatted output ?

Nice - thanks for the guidance. Is there a trick to formatting the output ? I get a long string. Can find the data easily enough, but is there a switch setting or option to get a formatted output ?
Mine looks exactly like I posted, I didn't do anything to get in the format I posted using firefox. If you google search there are some powershell scripts to get even more data in various formats.

here's a good link for viewing various things. just make sure you put /api/ in front of the commands.
Powerwall API

Reactions: RKCRLR
With 9 lives, he will be dead on the 10th way. ;) ;)

That cut off frequency depends on inverter cut off frequency. MY Enphase cuts off at 61Hz or so, so I asked a .5 above the cut off frequency.

Thanks, I bookmarked the aggregates in Firefox.

Just a note on using the APIs - as of 20.49 you need to be logged in to view those stats. Either by logging in though the Powerwall interface (easy) generating a user token (more technical, details in the Powerwall API link @fragchild referenced above).

If you are not logged in you will get this error:
{"code":403,"error":"Unable to GET to resource","message":"User does not have adequate access rights"}

Just a note on using the APIs - as of 20.49 you need to be logged in to view those stats. Either by logging in though the Powerwall interface (easy) generating a user token (more technical, details in the Powerwall API link @fragchild referenced above).

If you are not logged in you will get this error:
{"code":403,"error":"Unable to GET to resource","message":"User does not have adequate access rights"}
When Tesla updated my firmware to 20.49 I could no longer log in locally. After several troubleshooting calls and Powerwall resets Tesla gave up and rolled me back to 20.48 and said they would stop pushing firmware updates to me. Eventually I'll need to get this addressed.

I just got my kill a watt tester so figured I would try to see if my GW was lowered in frequency cut off.

So plugged the unit in outlet, 60 hz. Tripped one 200amp breaker to house, and came back in. Frequency now 62.5hz, which I assume means Tesla lowered it for me.

The tesla app shows Grid off and solar dead. All house power coming from batteries.

Put grid power back on. No grid or solar. I watch the frequency slowing dropping back. At around maybe 60.5 hz, it goes right to 60. The app now says grid back supplying
house, not batteries, and no solar. I go look at inverter and it is waking up again. After a while, it engages and everything is back to normal.

Man, that was sure an easy way to check if mine had been lowered. So, I guess this is where I want it?
What inverters do you have? Solar edge?