TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grid Support from Tesla cars

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by eclectricdave, Feb 2, 2018.

1. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

I imagine that using one EV to recharge another EV could be practical for example you are stranded somewhere,
    a little bit like a jump start between two ICE car, but for an everyday usage this would be quite overwhelming.

Why not getting an extra PoweWall, or making yourself one, in addition to your own solar installation.
    There are a lot of example of DYU EV charging station on Youtube using refurbished batteries from car junkyards.
    Here are some examples.

These DIY Powerwall Hobbyists Are Building Their Own Home Battery Systems

DIY Powerwall Builders Are Using Recycled Laptop Batteries to Power Their Homes

Can't Wait For (Or Afford) A Tesla Powerwall? Why Not Build Your Own For $300?

2. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Thanks for the links, however adding another PowerWall requires:
    1. Spending more money, when I have two perfectly good 70kw+ batteries (one fully charged from the sun during the day and in no need of a full charge)
    2. Spending more money on yet more solar panels that would not be likely to charge my car (via extra battery) and run the house at night many times of the year
    3. It's more environmentally friendly so do what I am suggesting (heard of Minimalism?)
    I guess it'll not happen, but it is more environmental to be able to move ones power around between "devices" rather than just getting more "stuff"....

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

At ~2:30 of 2018 Nissan LEAF Launch: Interview With Its Chief Vehicle Engineer, the '18 Leaf Chief Vehicle Engineer said he believes about 7,000 Leaf drivers (in Japan) have already installed the V2H system, including him.

On one of the Leaf FB groups, a few years back, someone in Japan had lost an unusually high # of capacity bars given they were in Japan. Was puzzling until they replied they had the V2H system.

• Informative x 1
  4. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

The charging stations Super or Chademo themselves would be a convenient way to do V2G. Even 50kW needs around 70A per phase for 3 phase so not likely at anyone's home. On days of likely blackout you could be given an opportunity to lob at a SC or a Chademo station & offer your car for V2G in return for a piece of the action. The necessary inverters would need to be retro fitted of course. 1000 cars at 50kW is 50MW. Probably need around 200MW to be useful.

5. paulp

paulp Active Member

I have 90A per phase at home for grid power, even though I avoid using grid power as much as possible. More than happy charging at 25kmh on solar.

• Like x 1
  6. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

V2G?
    No. Just, No.