Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Gridserve Electric Forecourt found. This time 4 x “Branded chargers” at Gateshead

Gateshead - Planning Documents

9835D44A-60E2-466B-8776-3D2B7EB3F557.png

CAE19986-EC20-4519-BFF2-1CB80668C8B4.png

69E1078D-0D0E-49C2-A713-BEC55646D6F1.png

Another Gridserve Electric Forecourt found. This time 4 x “Branded chargers” at Gateshead

Gateshead - Planning Documents

View attachment 620376
View attachment 620377
View attachment 620378
As noted on SpeakEV, looks like Gateshead you can book a valet whilst charging

The Electric Forecourt® will include scope to book a charging space at a particular time, organise a car valet to coincide with your charge, engage with electric vehicle retailers and, in a dedicated ‘Lounge’ area, rest and relax, making the most of your dwell-time.”

“The outline business case forecasts that the Electric Forecourt® will attract 80-140 vehicles per day during the first few years. It is anticipated that vehicles will use the facility throughout the day from early morning to early evening with a maximum hourly trip generation rate of 15-20 vehicles.”

“In the busiest hour, it is forecast therefore that the 28 charging spaces could generate up to 84 two-way movements either in or out of the site (say 42 in, and 42 out). Whilst this is less than one a minute in each direction, it is envisaged that should the GRIDSERVE Gateshead Electric Forecourt® become this popular, advanced booking and queuing systems would be introduced to communicate with drivers via a smart phone app. This would notify drivers of the number of vacant chargers and if drivers were to turn up on spec, without having booked a charging slot, they would face longer queuing times.

Last edited:
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Interesting. This also means that “branded chargers” seen on planning documents may not be Superchargers after all…
I think this is something different to the Gridserve hubs. Gridserve have basically bought a share of Ecotricity, which gives them a stake in Ecotricity's existing service area sites. The deal includes replacements for Ecotricity's old units in the first instance. There's also talk of hubs of 6-12 rapids at service areas, but that's a little vaguer and clearly not something that is yet the subject of any planning applications.

There's also talk of hubs of 6-12 rapids at service areas, but that's a little vaguer and clearly not something that is yet the subject of any planning applications.
On the contrary - there's all these planning applications we've been looking at with 12x Tesla + 12x Ecotricity, and we've been saying "how are Ecotricity going to affford this, they are broke?", and now the answer is revealed, they have new investment.

So for Tesla drivers the bigger news is that they are replacing all the existing flaky DBT units and taking over management of them.

I don't think this affects the Tesla "branded chargers" on Gridserve sites, more likely in the long term the non-branded ones become Electric Highway, or EH units at motorway services get Gridserve branding.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I think this is something different to the Gridserve hubs. Gridserve have basically bought a share of Ecotricity, which gives them a stake in Ecotricity's existing service area sites. The deal includes replacements for Ecotricity's old units in the first instance. There's also talk of hubs of 6-12 rapids at service areas, but that's a little vaguer and clearly not something that is yet the subject of any planning applications.
Yeah I think I mis read the announcement to begin with. Good News either way

Will be really good, especially if it takes on GS pricing!

I don't think this affects the Tesla "branded chargers" on Gridserve sites, more likely in the long term the non-branded ones become Electric Highway

I expect the branding will remian seperate so that they can prices much higher at Moterway Service Areas as they don't get cheap power from their grid operations at these locations.

Reactions: arg
I expect the branding will remian seperate so that they can prices much higher at Moterway Service Areas as they don't get cheap power from their grid operations at these locations.
That is a very good point, unless they can start using solar farms to power the motorway chargers? Even if they could they may well charge a premium I would guess. Time will tell...

The first of the replaced 50kW chargers is at Cherwell, a non-branded ABB triple-header, the same as those used by PodPoint. Toddington has confirmed that both DC cables can be used at the same time on these, not just one DC and one AC

Reactions: Cardo
Are Gridserve involved in Moto deal? Not sure.. it’s got complicated lately. anyways here’s an update. Move post if not relevant.
I think it's 99% certain they are supplying the money and the equipment, and pretty clear they are providing the operational support too.
Ecotricity just supplying the branding (and the relationship with moto).

I think it's 99% certain they are supplying the money and the equipment, and pretty clear they are providing the operational support too.
Ecotricity just supplying the branding (and the relationship with moto).
I think the "relationship with Moto" being the key there and by relationship I assume that is in the form of a binding contract. I doubt they would pay a lot for the name which in recent years has been synonymous with poor reliability even if early adopters have a fond memories of when they were the only game in town.

It's no surprise Gridserve care about their own chargers and leave Tesla to sort out theirs. At this point though we do need more than vague handwaving about power issues as they've been offline for so long.
at this point its clear they aren't just broken or they would have been fixed. Either it is some sort of contractual dispute or an issue with power supply and they cut off Tesla first to preserve the supply to their own chargers I would guess. I was a bit surprised they fitted them in the first place. Not sure what was in it for them. Maybe they make all their money on the over priced coffee?

Reactions: CMc1
It's no surprise Gridserve care about their own chargers and leave Tesla to sort out theirs. At this point though we do need more than vague handwaving about power issues as they've been offline for so long.
That's what's concerning me.
at this point its clear they aren't just broken or they would have been fixed. Either it is some sort of contractual dispute or an issue with power supply and they cut off Tesla first to preserve the supply to their own chargers I would guess. I was a bit surprised they fitted them in the first place. Not sure what was in it for them. Maybe they make all their money on the over priced coffee?
It's this sort of thing that concerns me about the ecotricity and other proposed gridserve stations. Will, they cut off charge points without comment or notice there too? Perhaps the Gridserve/Ecotricity culture isn't all one way..I had hoped GS would be the public charge provider we had wanted for years, alas maybe that is not the case.