Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good progress by GridServe at Cornwall Services on the A30 south of Bodmin - canopy is up and looks like groundworks in progress.

Checked the planning and it's only 6 fast and 6 AC bays but will be a very useful gap-fill for Cornwall charging.

Hopefully up and running for the summer, expect it to be maxed Saturdays - that section of the A30 is always solid and normally stationary northbound on Sat mornings and southbound Sat afternoons...

Oh and they have a funny piece of furniture for an EV charging station! 🤣
3D612F7B-CCD7-4EAB-A475-87A9316494FA.jpeg

2f779df2-25a4-41c6-927f-085330435e89-jpeg.796067

What's the grey car (the one in the foreground, I know what the grey car in the background is :) )

I'm thinking MG but I'm not confident, it looks to me "more car than that", so no doubt now I've stuck my neck out I'm going to look a twit!

And the battery unit with the Union Flag on it?

I'm probably dreaming, but I'd still like to own a Cobra (kit is fine, don't need a real one ...) and I wonder just how many Ponies I'd have to divvy up for something along those lines ... probably "HOW MUCH" :(

2f779df2-25a4-41c6-927f-085330435e89-jpeg.796067

What's the grey car (the one in the foreground, I know what the grey car in the background is :) )

I'm thinking MG but I'm not confident, it looks to me "more car than that", so no doubt now I've stuck my neck out I'm going to look a twit!

And the battery unit with the Union Flag on it?

I'm probably dreaming, but I'd still like to own a Cobra (kit is fine, don't need a real one ...) and I wonder just how many Ponies I'd have to divvy up for something along those lines ... probably "HOW MUCH" :(
It's this, isnt it?

I was displeased to hear the deliberate tutting by some of the YouTuber’s attending at the sight of ICE vehicles there. Aside from one of those being the TV crew, rather missing the point that the facility is also about motivating fossil drivers to consider switching through better charging amenity provision. The thought of curious fossil drivers searching for videos about it and then finding that on-site attitude won't help.

Tesla Supercharger at GridServe Norwich now appearing in Tesla app as “Norwich, UK / East”, and showing 8/8 available (2B was bagged over on Tuesday evening). Not showing on website, claims to be 250 kW from Tesla API - but in reality the plates say 425 A / 1,000 V (single output), so only ~150 kW to 400 V architecture packs (Plaid S nominal being 407 V, rated voltage probably 450 V). 1,000 V likely future public CCS for Taycan/EV6/e-Tron/Ioniq etc.

Last edited:
Tesla Supercharger at GridServe Norwich now appearing in Tesla app as “Norwich, UK / East”, and showing 8/8 available (2B was bagged over on Tuesday evening). Not showing on website, claims to be 250 kW from Tesla API - but in reality the plates say 425 A / 1,000 V (single output), so only ~150 kW to 400 V architecture packs (Plaid S nominal being 407 V, rated voltage probably 450 V). 1,000 V likely future public CCS for Taycan/EV6/e-Tron/Ioniq etc.

Which rating plate are you talking about - Tesla or the other Gridserve chargers?
And if Tesla, is it different from the one seen previously:
supercharger_v3_rating_plate.png

That one fairly clearly says that the outputs are 250kW, 631A, 0-500V - so they can achieve the full 250kW at voltages down to 396V.
The only reference to higher voltage is for the cabinet interconnect: if Tesla eventually go for an 800V architecture then they'll need new superchargers.

Reactions: Adopado
The Tesla V3 red stickers on the inside edge of the superchargers themselves (well, aside from 2D, which was just the Tesla logo on a red background).

The supporting inverter kit isn’t accessible as it sits behind a locked, wooden edged rectangular area.

Your example image shows 631 A, which is sufficient for 250 kW, whereas 425 A is not. The 1000 V rated voltage is part of the Tesla charger sticker:

20220426_222324_HDR.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: arg
The Tesla V3 red stickers on the inside edge of the superchargers themselves (well, aside from 2D, which was just the Tesla logo on a red background).

Very interesting! Given that the CCS connectors generally are rated for 1000V, it's not too surprising that Tesla rates theirs similarly since the rating is mainly about the geometry (creepage distances etc.), but the current rating is a bit unexpected - being neither Tesla's own top limit nor what I thought was the normal limit for CCS (500A - but that assumes active cooling).

Has nobody seen >150kW charging of Tesla vehicles in the UK? Or is the 425A a continuous rating and Tesla allow bursting above that rate?

It would be great if someone could capture a supercharger label from GridServe Braintree. Norwich being a Compact forecourt and already requiring around 8 MW for public CCS/CHAdeMo/Type2 it wouldn't surprise if Tesla only has sufficient grid power there to 150 kW output. Braintree I expect genuinely is 250 kW. Of note, no battery storage visible in the most recent drone aerial shots of Norwich Forecourt, whereas that is known for the full site.

Continuous current is usually 80% of peak, which then would make 425 ÷ 0.8 = 531 A, × 366 V = 194 kW, still not enough.

Fremont/US V3 labels have two combined current outputs of 350 A and 200 A, from −40 ℃ to +35 ℃ and −40 ℃ to +50 ℃ respectively, at 500 VDC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snail