Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Electric Forecourt planning application submitted!
I'm surprised they (and Tesla) are not moving towards a "drive-thru" style of charger layout rather than going in head first or reversing. I can understand not doing it in existing car parks with space limitations but when starting with a blank piece of paper it would appear to have advantages.

Reactions: candida
no Superchargers at this one then?

Well, on the one hand it's just down the road from Woodall, so if Tesla complete their planned expansion at Woodall (a big 'if', I admit), it would be a bit redundant. On the other hand, that Gridserve presentation shows only 22 chargepoints in the main section under the building (plus 3 that look like slow ones in a bay to the side) while the text says "Potential to charge up to 30 vehicles at high speed simultaneously", and there's a row of 10 ordinary parking spaces in the location that corresponds to superchargers on other Gridserve sites.

I can't find an actual planning application for this Gridserve site, but while looking I found Instavolt (at KFC) and Engenie (at a pub) on the same estate. So you aren't going to be short of charging options there...

Local paper says it will have Tesla chargers...

"The site plans feature 22 high power chargers, providing up to 350kW – powerful enough to supply up to 100-miles of range in less than 10 minutes. Six AC chargers providing up to 22kW and eight Tesla Superchargers, providing up to 250kW, complete the plans."

So who knows!

Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
Contactless Tesla Supercharging? Presumably that means Destination Chargers with Payter contactless, at Braintree only? Probably needs updating to 39 p/kWh, as claims 30 p/kWh.

Found the plans (not easy)

Ref
CHE/22/00272/FUL

And yeah...no superchargers on the plans!

If I was a local planner there is 0% chance I would approve Tesla been allowed to construct 'Tesla only' DC rapid charging sites versus some one like Gridserve.

Tesla need to open up their SCs ASAP, otherwise there will be no new Tesla SC sites approved in the future.

But this site has plenty of choice so no issue having Tesla only. Maybe that's what Tesla should do, open the superchargers up at these gridserve hubs. Then they can say they have opened up the network where capacity allows it
Or maybe they have an agreement with Gridserve that they wont do that. Tesla may be the majority of EV's at present but they will be a minority in the long run would GS want to have competition for ALL EV's on their own site? does not make good business sense.

Reactions: JupiterMan
I’m sure the arrangement is currently mutually beneficial. Particularly as most Tesla owners will just follow their own nav and just use super chargers and probably wouldn’t go to a gridserve location off their own back anyway.

Tesla get additional supercharger stalls and locations.

Gridserve gets:
Tesla drives traffic to their sites, Tesla owners spend money in their shops which increases their viability.
Gridserve gets ground rent from the land Tesla occupies
Gridserve probably supplies the power so makes profit on every kWh delivered.
Gridserve doesn’t have to deal with the maintenance of the super chargers.

The same applies to the gridserve/moto/Tesla arrangement.

Another Gridserve Hub open at Thurrock, adding to the existing at Exeter, Swansea, Rugby and Burton-in-Kendle. This one is close to the Grey's SuperCharger site (so I would expect to see Greys become an 'open' SuperCharger site when Tesla open parts of the UK network).

I do think these should all be in the maps in the car, there are lots of these hub sites from Gridserve, Osprey, Fasned, MSG and Instavolt that should be included, all of them better than Ionity that are shown for some reason. When Tesla open parts of the networks to other cars, they should also open the car's mapping to other networks.

1651826128409.png

The difference between these guys who seem pretty competent Vs ecotricity is marked.

Just imagine where the infrastructure might be if it was these guys in charge to start with (putting aside the ridiculous monopoly idea as well)
To be fair part of it is that the govt is now actively assisting in getting the power to where it needs to be which was not the case in the past

I’m sure the arrangement is currently mutually beneficial. Particularly as most Tesla owners will just follow their own nav and just use super chargers and probably wouldn’t go to a gridserve location off their own back anyway.

Tesla get additional supercharger stalls and locations.

Gridserve gets:
Tesla drives traffic to their sites, Tesla owners spend money in their shops which increases their viability.
Gridserve gets ground rent from the land Tesla occupies
Gridserve probably supplies the power so makes profit on every kWh delivered.
Gridserve doesn’t have to deal with the maintenance of the super chargers.

The same applies to the gridserve/moto/Tesla arrangement.
I agree it is but would be less beneficial to GS and more to Tesla if the SuC on those sites could be used by anyone which makes you wonder if that may be something that is covered under the contract between the two in some way?
having said that any contract with GS that prevent SuC being open to the public would not go down well with the govt at this point