Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I read that where Tesla and GridServe share a new site then Tesla is contributing to the infrastructure costs (i.e. of getting a fat supply cable to the site)
Yup, that is completely plausible and would reduce the costs for gridserve to install. I’d expect the costs to install greatly outweigh the material cost of the additional capacity needed needed to accommodate the extra Tesla chargers.

It would be great if someone could capture a supercharger label from GridServe Braintree. Norwich being a Compact forecourt and already requiring around 8 MW for public CCS/CHAdeMo/Type2 it wouldn't surprise if Tesla only has sufficient grid power there to 150 kW output. Braintree I expect genuinely is 250 kW. Of note, no battery storage visible in the most recent drone aerial shots of Norwich Forecourt, whereas that is known for the full site.

I haven't been to Braintree, but here's Trumpington:

v3_stall_trumpington.jpg

which is the same as you posted earlier for Norwich.

So the only reasonable assumption is that this is a continuous rating and it is exceeded for short periods.

Continuous current is usually 80% of peak, which then would make 425 ÷ 0.8 = 531 A, × 366 V = 194 kW, still not enough.

There's no reason to suppose a fixed percentage, as Tesla have temperature monitoring on both sides of the interface (ie. in the car's socket and in the connector on the end of the cable). They've long been doing this with the V2 superchargers, where the current delivered is much more than the nominal rating of the type 2 connectors (and you see the charging rate decrease if the connector gets warm, as they do when worn/damaged).

The usual electrical continuous current value is 80% of the rated cable capability, but of course that’s without water cooling. Yet 'Rated' is used for normal maximal operational use, within a 'Rated range' typically 10%. The 680 A needed to sustain 250 kW with a 100 kWh pack at low state of charge is quite a leap above (60% in fact), but may well have been established empirically through sensor acceptance on both sides like you say. Hopefully someone can just say they charged above 200 kW when at one of the Norwich superchargers to know for certain. Plaid S for example from 6–34% SoC sustains 250 kW. Perhaps the labels themselves should say Nominal instead of Rated, a US electrical parlance thing?

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of using my first none Tesla SC since 2017. All I can say is WELL DONE Gridserve. It was a pair of chargers that use to be run by Ecotricity, the difference in user experience couldn't be more different.

No stupid apps, contactless, clear step guides, long cables, and I believe the chargers could do x2 cars at once now, in addition I think the cost of charging is cheaper than Tesla SCs.

What Gridserve needs is government support to expand their installs at existing Mways services from the x2-3 chargers at each site to 6-12+. Given nearly all Mway service have chargers inplace already from previous Ecotricity install it surely much be much easier than having to install brand new sites like Tesla have to do. Between Tesla and Gridserve they could really sort out Mway based DC rapid charging in the UK as long as they can get grid connections.

Eitherway, its really encouraging progress on public DC rapid charging....however as much as I was impressed with the new chargers, having to pay for DC rapid charging was a step too far. I gave in after watching the cost tick over £10, unplugged and headed for the nearest 'free' Tesla SC :).

52123796359_d53a4717d9_c_d.jpg

52122521447_686de2bcc6_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Sean. and browellm
Reactions: CMc1 and browellm
The rating on the supercharger stall is only a part of the overall picture I think. The stalls are basically just a holder for the cable, the label on them is what they can handle, rather than what they output. It’s the white cabinets which give a clue to what’s being generated.

Here’s a Heathrow Hilton V3 cabinet.

D21E1EDD-4AF6-4ABD-A0F4-F4CF89F6E963.jpeg

CE18CC6E-52F7-4E07-8E81-2CBFBC48B062.jpeg

Moving it to vacuum could be an issue unless you have an engine hoist as a hatstand :D
I’ve actually got one. It’s a 3.4 litre V8 Gibson Tech from an ex LMP2 Le Mans car which had a catastrophic fail on cylinder no. 4.

It’s a nice table and pretty light being alloy. I’ve not weighed it but it will be less than 20 kg.

An iron block would be a lump to shift.

9F2C46A9-15C6-47B4-AD94-5CDEEA916ABA.jpeg

GridServe’s prices are two-tier at the Norwich Compact hub, with 39 p/kWh for 7/22 kW AC & 45 p/kWh for both 100 kW ChaDeMO and 350 kW CCS. Elsewhere on their Electric Highway network it’s also 39 p/kWh for up to 60 kW chargers.
Looking on Zapmap, most 50kw GridServe cost is now 48p so looks like its gone up recently. 22kw chargers still at 39p. Not as cheap as I thought then.
Good to see more options though while on the road.