Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S3XY

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Buffalo, NY
There seems to be some dislike of the front end of the Model 3. So I'm starting this thread to have people post their ideas on how to improve it. Okay, so maybe not a grill per se but whatever you might think it needs. I'd even be open to humor so have at it! Here's my idea. I think it makes a huge difference and it fits right in with the rest of the family, especially the Model X.

M3 Front.jpg

Nice job Mihai75! like it better than the original one. Could you mock a version where also the hoodline would curve a bit downwards accoring to new line you draw for the buffer? and put the Tesla T then lower, to that new space. Highly appreciated if you bother!

Reactions: Metalbird
I'm not good at Photoshop, so hopefully someone can make this change. I would love to see a smooth line go across the front that uses the curvature of the lines that are underneath the headlights. And if you were to look down from the top it would mean the front edge would stick out a bit more (3 inches). For me, it's the discontinuity of those under-headlight lines that detract from the front. And once again it has nothing to do with the lack of a grille.

p4010518-1.jpg

Not bad! Certainly makes it look more refined and well....finished.

Here's my attempt at removing the snout:

kvSSm2X.jpg

I like this rendition. Feels more Porsche-y. Anything to smooth out that "snout." The 3 as revealed needs to finish the thinking on the snout. It was the most jarring thing that stood out, causing an immediate "ugh" reaction. I also can't figure out how the existing snout is optimally aerodynamic.

That all said, I would rather the snout stay as-is than Tesla put in a nosecone or grille. That's a real "ugh" to me.

Reactions: James Anders
Could you mock a version where also the hoodline would curve a bit downwards accoring to new line you draw for the buffer? and put the Tesla T then lower, to that new space.

Yes, that makes sense I think. Here is an attempt:

fm54TJi.jpg

This area of the car is highly sensitive to the slightest change. Maybe some would prefer more of a "pinch" in the front, others more rounded. I tried to keep it somewhere in between.

And I think it's been mentioned a few times.....it's not about grill vs no grill, but doing something about that unfinished snout. I don't want a grill either. I also like S3XY's original suggestion, seems that would be a good compromise between the pro vs anti-snouts :)

Oink. Oink.

I think the snout is there to improve Cd so I doubt they will remove it. But I guess they could make it a bit less prominent.

No way that blunt snout would produce better Cd numbers than without. It's essentially a flat surface in the front. Nearly vertical. That's what is so puzzling. We know they tried to eke out every bit of aero performance and efficiency.

Either Franz or Elon really really loves the blunt nose - or there's some regulation (pedestrian collision) forcing their hand.

Yes, that makes sense I think. Here is an attempt:

fm54TJi.jpg

This area of the car is highly sensitive to the slightest change. Maybe some would prefer more of a "pinch" in the front, others more rounded. I tried to keep it somewhere in between.

And I think it's been mentioned a few times.....it's not about grill vs no grill, but doing something about that unfinished snout. I don't want a grill either. I also like S3XY's original suggestion, seems that would be a good compromise between the pro vs anti-snouts :)

Oink. Oink.

Mihai - Could you try doing a version like my suggestion? You're so close to what I was hoping for - you still have those raised lines. Try making that line go smoothly across the front. Pretty please?!!!

No way that blunt snout would produce better Cd numbers than without. It's essentially a flat surface in the front. Nearly vertical. That's what is so puzzling. We know they tried to eke out every bit of aero performance and efficiency.

Either Franz or Elon really really loves the blunt nose - or there's some regulation (pedestrian collision) forcing their hand.
Yes, but I assume it decreases drag for the larger surface of the windshield and would be a net reduction. I can't figure out why else they would include it.

Last edited:
Mihai - Could you try doing a version like my suggestion? You're so close to what I was hoping for - you still have those raised lines. Try making that line go smoothly across the front. Pretty please?!!!

Mihai75, that one looks much better. I'd leave out the vague lines that run upwards from the little light slits. Smoothen the front end as if it were the bow of a boat and make a deep, horizontal crease between those light slits, so the front does show some relief.

Alright sirs, I believe this is what you're looking for, first one is James version, and bottom one with voyagers suggestion to also make a slight crease between the light slits:

ashRZB4.jpg

x8XQOQ9.jpg