Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any aerodynamic shapes that don't have the blunt end forward?

There are I guess like a tear drop shape that's aerodynamic if that's what you mean by blunt end forward. Honestly the current front end isn't "flat" it's still curved and angled so it doesn't exactly hit flat. But it would be as aero dynamic as a front end that was smoother. The more simple the design the better for drag as creating turbulent airflow by directing air changes increases drag. However this doesn't take into account any other reasons for air flow lines. I.e. Downforce, brake cooling, etc.

BRAVO!! Either one looks so much better. Please someone forward this Elon!

Look, I guarantee you this...

If this was the car that Elon unveiled absolutely no one would say - "Oooh, it would look so much better with a blunt faced nose!"

Thanks Mihai!

By the way... I am a designer. ;)

Guaranteed.

I personally think both of those options look dated (like 1990s dated). I really like what Tesla showed us. It's strong, bold and fresh...exactly what Tesla wants to say. Looks great in my opinion and I would absolutely choose it over any of the mods I've seen.

Reactions: BravoSarah
I kinda like them both. The original Model 3 in an unconventional way and Mihai75's version in a more classic way. Problem with the latter is, it doesn't say "Tesla" at all. When you look at all the model's front ends, although quite different, they do share this trapezoid element (be it a grille, a nose cone or implied with metal edges) which identifies the cars as belonging to the same brand.

Alright sirs, I believe this is what you're looking for, first one is James version, and bottom one with voyagers suggestion to also make a slight crease between the light slits:

ashRZB4.jpg

x8XQOQ9.jpg

Sexy's original was quite good, these two by Mihai are great... would have me enthusiastically set on going with the Model 3 I reserved. as it stands, I might get a Model S instead. Tesla may have purposely shown a less finished (less aesthetically pleasing to many) Model 3 to slow down any "osborning" of the Model S/X. not kidding. I think either of Mihai's versions would have us at about 400K reservations and counting right now.

If Tesla really wants to go with what they've shown instead of something like what Sexy and Mihai did, OFFER BOTH! Not. Kidding. if they can offer a glass or aluminum roof on the S, why can't they offer a variation of the front end at least close to what Sexy or Mihai did?

not trying to beat up on Tesla, and they are getting reservations at a pace that they could carve a sketch of a garbage pail into the front and they'd still have a multi-year reservation list when production starts, but people's tastes vary and unlike the other auto companies, they don't have a bunch of sub $40K models (GM, Toyota, etc) and they don't have decades of refining the aesthetics to hit a single widely well loved form (BMW, Mercedes, etc.). lots of pressure to get one version of the Model 3 that's widely wins people over aesthetically. if they want something as different as what they've shown, why not versions like Mihai's as well as an option?

Last edited:
As I said in the OP I wasn't really asking for a grill. I only used that in the thread title because I thought it was catchy and would draw attention. I was just looking for other ideas to make the front clip more appealing and so far everything I've seen here accomplished that. Let's keep them coming!

However, the interior is so far my #1 possible deal killer,

There are a number of Internet companies already making interior appliques for all kinds of different cars - carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, various woods, various colors, etc. Trust me, when the T3 goes into production, you will be able to customize your T3 with a plethora of aftermarket items - nose, ground effects, interior, and who knows what else!

There are a number of Internet companies already making interior appliques for all kinds of different cars - carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, various woods, various colors, etc. Trust me, when the T3 goes into production, you will be able to customize your T3 with a plethora of aftermarket items - nose, ground effects, interior, and who knows what else!

Ya especially since tinkering with the cars Powertrain is quite scary to me unlike an ICE where I would tinker with all sorts of things. Pretty much only cosmetic customization for me.

I personally think both of those options look dated (like 1990s dated). I really like what Tesla showed us. It's strong, bold and fresh...exactly what Tesla wants to say. Looks great in my opinion and I would absolutely choose it over any of the mods I've seen.

For the future survival of Tesla, the Model 3 has to make money.. and that is achieved through mass volume sales. To do that the car must appeal to the masses. The folks on this site are Tesla fans, yet a very clear majority have an issue with the current front nose design. If Tesla fans have reservations about the nose, Joe Public will have even more.

I'm all for bold, fresh designs... that's the definition of Tesla... but the design must have mass market appeal for Tesla to survive... and clearly the current nose design misses the mark.

Reassuringly this thread, and others, have demonstrated how trivially easy it will be to fix.

Kind Regards

If you guys ended up not liking the grill, just go to a professional car wrap company and they can design a special grill wrap for you to fit your taste. That's one of the benefit of having a flat grill area like Model 3, you can stick whatever you what on the panel.