Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grinding noise on front left in right tight turn at fast speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 was built on September 2019, it is a dualmotor version, 6000 km on the odometer, 18 rims with aero covers.
When i go fast in tight right turns i can hear a grinding noise from the front left tyre/brake rotor/suspension.
The noise frequency depends on the speed of the car, so more speed -> higher frequency.
I cannot hear any noise in straight and in fast wide corners even if taken at high speed or in extreme tight turns at slow speed.
It seems the noise depends on lateral G-Force on the tyre,
It seems some metal on metal noise.
A bad bearing ?
Some gravel stuck in the rotor ?

This morning i made a video with a go-pro tied to the steering arm LOL :

problem now is also at slow speed , so it not depends on lateral G-force but more on steering angle.
Noise is only going in drive, never in reverse.
Any idea ?

Wow what the hell. I’d put my money on a bearing - dunno what else could make such a noise at low speed. If it is, it’s like a <2 hour job at the SC for them to replace the hub. But who knows... sending them the video in advance could help.

I have loosened the nuts and removed the wheel and surprise suprise :

screwed.jpg

There was a small M6x12 loosen bolt, it dropped to the ground when i removed the wheel.
This bolt is intended to keep the brake rotor in position when you thight the nuts and the brake rotor together to the wheel's hub.
The rim's inside surface was polished by the head of the scew.
My suspect is that someone put the brake rotor on the wheel hub and forgot to tight the m6x12 screw and then the guy next on the line put the wheel and tight the nuts, but the rim didn't press evenly on the brake rotor.
I fixed the bolt and tightened the nuts, I tried to move at low speed with turned wheels and no noises, i tried fast speed turns and no noise.
Weird...

• Funny
Reactions: Mash
Awesome... glad that worked out without wasting your time with the SC. It pays to know how to DIY.

FWIW, mine was also loose on my front left when I took the wheel off for the first time.

I hope, but i'm not sure, maybe the noise will return next week :-/
At the moment my country is under lockdown for covid 19 , so i can drive only around my house.
In any case i cannot drive 200 km to the nearest Tesla service center.
It's interesting that also in your car there was same loose screw.
I have not seen any loctite on the thread...

I hope, but i'm not sure, maybe the noise will return next week :-/
At the moment my country is under lockdown for covid 19 , so i can drive only around my house.
In any case i cannot drive 200 km to the nearest Tesla service center.
It's interesting that also in your car there was same loose screw.
I have not seen any loctite on the thread...
If it becomes a pain in the ass, I'm simply removing it and leaving it off - it serves no real purpose except to keep the brake from flopping around while the car's being worked on.

That fastener came off on one of my wheels and was causing a clicking sound at low speed, took off the wheel and saw it just flopping around in the wheel cavity so i took it out and never re-installed, totally fine.