Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grinding/Rattling noise on my model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a similar sound (after approx. 12´000 km) - at Tesla it was not reproducible - they told me that it might be related how much the battery is loaded (90%+ load in ludicrous mode might bring up the rattling sound).

Last edited:
Yes mine also has it. Tech rode with me on a test drive. He said this is normal because of the stress putting on the front drive unit and engineering has no solution for it at the moment. This was last week. You can search on the forum to see similar complaints and I think someone said they are testing a new part that will fix it. Search for acceleration shrudder.

Also mine is just a 60D which does 0 to 60 in 6s. It has been getting worse. Currently had 13k miles. A 100D loaner I got with 1.2k miles on it did not have the sound.

I have noticed a similar sound (after approx. 12´000 km) - at Tesla it was not reproducible - they told me that it might be related how much the battery is loaded (90%+ load in ludicrous mode might bring up the rattling sound).

Battery was at about 65 percent and my km are 10, 500ish. I don't have ludicrous.

It was much worse earlier today than in the video. Very unhealthy sound and won't be accepting Tesla saying its 'normal'. Definitely not a normal sound any vehicle should make.

Yup, I get it too. At first I thought it was the front tires rubbing, but obviously ruled that out after no apparent damage. I definitely need to test this out again with different suspension heights.

Acceleration shudder - mine was cured by replacing the half shafts on the front suspension.

This exactly.

Can anyone confirm I'm not doing any damage by continuing to drive with it? Plan to take it easy on the accelerating (I always do anyway).[/QUOTE]

The noise seems to get progressively worse and amplified by heavy acceleration. Unfortunately if you go through the shudder thread, they don't quite know what's the cause. But anytime the noise gets louder/worse with miles, it probably is doing increased wear/damage.

Despite what they say, I doubt it's "normal" as brand new cars don't have this issue. So something is definitely wearing prematurely to cause the noise.

I've taken my X into the Bellevue, WA service center asking to have it fixed, twice. It's so bad that during acceleration my entire dash rattles. I'm going in for a 3rd visit soon to have more warranty work done and I'm going to list it again as the knocking/grinding sound has now started.

I understand it's a difficult engineering problem but "it's normal" is a complete fabrication.

just for clarification my x75 only has 1400 miles and it makes the noise described but doesn't shudder or vibrate to the extent that i can feel it just yet. others have commented that vibration is prominent and last post said dash rattles! my experience isn't that bad... yet.

i tested this just now on LOW suspension and was not able to reproduce the rattle shudder noise. however my car does not stay in LOW permanently. it is not a GPS location issue it seems to raise itself to STANDARD whenever i go uphill or a slight incline.

is this normal?

i tested this just now on LOW suspension and was not able to reproduce the rattle shudder noise. however my car does not stay in LOW permanently. it is not a GPS location issue it seems to raise itself to STANDARD whenever i go uphill or a slight incline.

is this normal?
On the bottom of the suspension settings there’s a slider where you can adjust when to use Low. If you want to use low at all times you change the slider to say “always”.

On the bottom of the suspension settings there’s a slider where you can adjust when to use Low. If you want to use low at all times you change the slider to say “always”.
Is setting the suspension to always be on low a truly viable solution? I read elsewhere that the lowest 2 suspension settings cause premature tire wear. Technically, am I being obligated to prematurely wear my tires out for a possible flaw that the engineers need to fix?

Last edited:
I’ve noticed similar sounds on a Model X 75D, a Model X 90D and a Model S 100D. I believe the 75 was uncorked and the other two weren’t, but I can’t confirm that. The 75 had about 3,000 miles at the time and the 100 had about 10,000 miles. I don’t remember how many miles were on the 90. This seems like a pretty common front drive unit issue that spans all current-production Teslas.