TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grinding sound when using summon

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MikingCO, Nov 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

Tonight I noticed that my S60D is making a grinding noise when I turn on summon. I press and hold the roof button on the fob and then press either the frunk or trunk button to summon it. The car makes the usual sounds and then a distinct grinding noise emits for the first few feet.

I drove the car at slow speeds with the windows down and couldn't hear any further noise. It APPEARS to only be happening whilst summoning.

Thoughts?

2. mytes

mytes Member

i have the same thing, it is amazing the noises it makes with summon! 2016 s75D

3. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

You have a metal on metal grinding noise? Did you have it checked?

4. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

Are you sure the sound is made while the car is moving? My car makes a sound that could be construed as 'grinding' as it releases the parking brake. But, that occurs before the car starts moving.

5. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

No. I'm familiar w that sound. This happens WHILE it moves in summon.

6. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

And it's not the brakes cleaning the discs? In winter many cars get a light glaze of surface rust when they are sitting for more than few minutes.

7. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Make a video and post it!

8. mytes

mytes Member

yes metal on metal type of grinding sound, before it starts to move, from the front, not the brakes. did not have it checked, i think it is normal. it sometimes makes the sound just sitting there. however if no one else has this sound just before using summon i guess i might ask service if it is normal.

9. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

I have heard a similar sound also. I always thought it was the car using a slight pressure on the brakes. It doesn't sound like metal on metal grinding in my car anyway.