Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grinding when turning and accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New member here. Recently picked up a used 2016 X P90D from Tesla direct. As soon as I left the lot, I encountered this grinding noise. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it will be resolved if i get the half shafts replaced as it does the shudder during acceleration also.

Since I was not allowed to test drive the car before I took delivery, I was kind of at their mercy. My wait for a service appt in Costa Mesa was over a month and is slowly approaching (1/14). I asked the service center about the noise, and they told me to go back and get a due bill from the delivery center to ensure I dont get stuck with a bill to fix it. After much back and forth, they finally agreed to give me one.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Charles

I wouldn’t think tire size since it only does it at low speeds and while accelerating. When the service center tech drove with me, he didn’t think it was a safety concern, so I needed to wait for my appointment. The wait time for getting service is pretty frustrating.

I had it last week. I changed right front hub, fixed the problem. Cost $118 on Ebay. Took about an hour to change. Finding the right tools was the hard part. Needed 1/2 18mm and 3/8 18mm sockets T45 star.
I'm going to change left front next week.

Soey, our service center are full of 3s. And mine is very small, can only hold about 10 cars max.
There are 50 on any day outside waiting to be prepped for delivery or fixed.
I thought mobile service was taking on most of the work, from what I hear 3’s are having poor quality control. Last month I was in service and many walk-in’s were taken care of. I really enjoy the Toronto location setup. You drive up to the bay door and they open up so you can drive straight into the service desk to check in / ask for service. I’m talking like show room style. Most friendly people I’ve ever met at that location.

I had it last week. I changed right front hub, fixed the problem. Cost $118 on Ebay. Took about an hour to change. Finding the right tools was the hard part. Needed 1/2 18mm and 3/8 18mm sockets T45 star.
I'm going to change left front next week.

Is that fix related to the fix for acceleration shudder? Or is it a separate part?

My appointment is next Tuesday, hopefully all will be resolved. I don’t think Tesla should have sold the car with that noise. I guess they didn’t feel it was a safety issue and it passed their “70 point inspection”

So strange how USA service centres have long waits. Here in Ontario, Canada I can get service the same week. I just got the acceleration shudder and I have 3 locations all within 30 mins apart to choose for next week.

How many people drive Telsas in your area? In my little neighborhood of 50 homes there are at least 20. Some people, like us have 2. And here in the SF Bay Area I do not believe this is an uncommon density. Seems like most of the BMW, Audi, and other European cars have been replaced by Teslas.