Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripe - time font too small

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to use the dial if I want to keep track of the time, agreed the time font is too small. Maybe we are supposed to just enjoy the drive and no fuss over what time it is...oops, referring to my model S, but I agree with my wife's model Y, font too small. I prefer two screens. I find I have to spend too much time with eyes off the road to find stuff on a single screen.

The Gen2 Chevy Volt had an undocumented clock feature. If you pressed on the digital time display the Volt's time display changed to a large analog clock face. Sometimes it is the little things that make a difference.

Speaking as an optometrist and advocate for people who have all kinds of vision impairment, I agree with this idea, and would expand it to other componants of the user interface. Not everyone who drives a Tesla is 25 yrs old and has 20/15 vision at both distance and near. Sure, many people have great vision, but people have different visual needs for a variety of reasons, and if we assume that everyone can see 6 pt font with or without their glasses, we've limited the visual options of many drivers.

In my state, the visual acuity requirement for driving without glasses is 20/40 distance vision in one eye. There is no visual acuity requirement for near vision. When we're 25 yrs old, our eyes automagically focus from distance tasks to near tasks without us even realizing when it happens. When we're 50 yrs old, it's much more difficult to change our focus from far to near, and many people start wearing multifocals to see distance and near tasks. (Just wait, it will happen to you.) Have you ever tried looking through your multifocal (in the bottom 10% of your glasses) to see the time on the top of your center console? It quickly becomes a chiropractic issue!

The point of this would be to provide options for those who need or desire it. The volume control allows people with different hearing abilities to listen at the decibel level that's comfortable for them. An arc second visual acuity adjustment control would allow people to adjust the visual user interface to a level that's comfortable for them. Sure, that's a coding issue, but we already have great examples of computer programs that do it well.

I've often thought to myself that this issue won't be fixed until the day Elon sits down in his Tesla and realizes that he can't see the center console like he used to. If that happens on a Tuesday, it will be fixed by Friday.

As an owner about to turn 70, I agree with the OP. I find most of the fonts on the screen except the one for speed too small to read easily when driving, especially since the screen is offset. I'd like a bigger font for the gear, temperature, compass heading, and warnings. And while Tesla is at it, a GPS-generated altimeter would be nice. Yes, the car seems designed by young, 20/20 vision California engineers who apparently don't have parents or grandparents.

Reactions: colea and bruce4000
An ability to increase font size would be much appreciated. Old eyes buy Teslas too.

Maybe a feature to have the system speak the warnings. I’m sure it would get old but I doubt I’ve been able to read ten percent of the ones flashed on the screen.

THIS! Grey on white pisses me off, lol...
And unfortunately, this has become the "in thing" for graphic designers lately. I think you can see the push back against it with the number of apps and websites that support a true dark mode.

I've always preferred a dark background with lighter text. If it is a white background, it's like staring into a flashlight to use the system.

Reactions: avs007