Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning noise from front area of car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all,

I keep hearing a strange noise coming from the front of the car when it is parked. It has happened about half a dozen times so far that I heard. It doesn't matter if I have a fob or not and I do not have air suspension so it is not the air pump.

Usually I hear it after I have entered the car and then leave but once it did it when I was in the garage doing something else. For example, just now, with no fob in hand, I opened door to check something on the main screen (confirm I did not have a SUSPENSION tab). When I left the car and closed the door I heard it.

I know some ICE vehicles have a louver that opens and closes behind the front grille for fuel economy and to some extent that's what it sounds like, but it is not a very 'clean' sounding movement, more like something 'old and rusty'. So odd...

Anyone have an idea as to what it is?

Thanks

Mine has been doing that since day 1. I remember asking the service guy about that a few years back and got a vague answer. I think that is responsible for the vampire drain that other threads that folks are posting. If you leave your car parked for a period of time, it will die eventually due to the power usage.

Mine has been doing that since day 1. I remember asking the service guy about that a few years back and got a vague answer. I think that is responsible for the vampire drain that other threads that folks are posting. If you leave your car parked for a period of time, it will die eventually due to the power usage.

Interesting. I have a mobile tech coming for a fob issue. I plan to ask him/her about it. Just sounds bad - like something that hasn't been used/oiled in about 10 years. That should not be the case...

Thanks.

The answer is...
to be found here:

It has to do with a actuator which opens/closes the vents for cooling the car/ battery pack. They are tested during the startup-check when you open the car and keep the car aerodynamic. They can make funny noises especially if the car is new or in a quiet environment. Guess a little oil at the right place might help as it is due to plastic rubbing against plastic.

The answer is...
to be found here:

It has to do with a actuator which opens/closes the vents for cooling the car/ battery pack. They are tested during the startup-check when you open the car and keep the car aerodynamic. They can make funny noises especially if the car is new or in a quiet environment. Guess a little oil at the right place might help as it is due to plastic rubbing against plastic.

OK, she solved the problem, but she can't spell solenoid.

The answer is...
to be found here:

The mobile service person came last week and heard it. Since he didn't have the parts (plus there were 4 other issues that he could not fix) he scheduled a trip to the SC in late Feb for me...

But this video was good - I now know where the battery is!

Yeah, your name looked familiar and I think I saw you shopping around or asking questions and figured it must be "new to you". I'm surprised the original owner never got it taken care of. Fortunately, it's an easy fix.

According to the dealer, it was an older lady who drove it very little. My wife would not have noticed it either (or the other 5 things I found that needed attention).