Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning sound when backing up first thing in the morning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

It sounds as if the brake pads were stuck on the rotors. It’s kinda like the sound when the pads really are stuck after rain and sitting for a couple of days. Anyone else? Thanks very much.

Probably a product of using regen braking vs cleaning off the rotors with the regular brakes. I get it as well after a day if it was wet. Turn regen off for a little braking and clean them off.
Thanks I’ll try that. In my case it’s been making that noise when it’s dry out. I don’t think the pads are stuck to the rotors.

It worth noting that you shouldn't need to do that because the car has disc wipe feature, it occasionally applies imperceptible braking force just to wipe the rotors without you noticing.
Thanks a million Eli. This just started. I don’t think it’s the brakes. I think it may be the rear drive motor. I’ll check it again tomorrow morning and see if it persists. I Was not clear as to the sound in my original post. It’s more like moaning sound. Not pads stuck to rotors.

The pads definitely stick after getting wet and then drying without much, if any use. It should be a quick feel of the pad unsticking, not an ongoing sound.

There's another issue that we Performance owners have experienced, which is having small pebbles or pieces of other debris finding their way in between the pad and the rotor. That's a horrendous, scraping sound that seems different than what you describe. It's fixed with a quick couple of hard braking or going in reverse then hard braking.