Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning sound when turning + slowing under regen braking low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All- my MYLR is 1 week old with 50 miles, would like to know if this is normal for a new car with new brakes/rotors? My model Y makes a groaning sound in the front brakes I assume because I can feel it in the steering wheel slightly, it happens everytime when turning and slowing under regen braking at low speeds (maybe under 5mph? think turning into a parking spot or pulling into your garage driveway). It does not occur if the car is going straight under same conditions, only when turning left/right (power steering?) and letting go accelerator and regen will kick-in to slow down the car. I noticed when I’m slowing down to park in a spot or pull into the driveway there’s a very noticeable groaning noise which sound like the regen brakes grabbing when I make sharp turn. Any ideas? I've already tried bedding (breaking in) in the brakes. Appreciate any feedback.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mlm33
Hi All- my MYLR is 1 week old with 50 miles, would like to know if this is normal for a new car with new brakes/rotors? My model Y makes a groaning sound in the front brakes I assume because I can feel it in the steering wheel slightly, it happens everytime when turning and slowing under regen braking at low speeds (maybe under 5mph? think turning into a parking spot or pulling into your garage driveway). It does not occur if the car is going straight under same conditions, only when turning left/right (power steering?) and letting go accelerator and regen will kick-in to slow down the car. I noticed when I’m slowing down to park in a spot or pull into the driveway there’s a very noticeable groaning noise which sound like the regen brakes grabbing when I make sharp turn. Any ideas? I've already tried bedding (breaking in) in the brakes. Appreciate any feedback.
Possible for you to make an audio recording with the help of a pal & then post it to this thread so we can get a better idea of the sound?
My MYP makes an odd rubbing sound when I brake with minimal regen. Tesla service center said it is normal sound for the performance brakes. The sound happens no mater what direction car is traveling.

I had the same thing with my brand new Y. Took it to the dealership, they blamed my aftermarket wheels and made me come back before they would diagnose. Put the original wheels back on, still made the same sound and they came back that it was normal. Seems suspect to me.

Try:
1. Remove aero cover one at a time, if equiped.
2. Charge fully to see if (low) regen makes a difference.
3. Anything rubbing with tires/fender liner when in sharp turn?

This is now a “known” Tesla problem that they need to solve:

14362E6C-FC3D-474E-8067-51663DD06128.jpeg

I brought the car in for same issue while under 100 miles. This is what I received in invoice. Honestly, I have not repeated the issue to see if the issue is still there as I have kind of forgetten about it. Wonder if breaking in brake rotors/pads helped problem as the car does blend in braking at low speeds to come to a stop. Will continue to keep an ear for it if I remember.
9A20E4D5-5123-43E3-B337-C0867382084D.jpeg

I believe I have the same issue. I have a MYP built last year. I noticed this issue the first day I brought the car home. Took it in for service and they told me they couldn’t find anything wrong and that I just needed to break in the car. 3000 miles later it does seem to be going away but I do still hear the noise from time to time. Would really love to get to the bottom of this as it’s really disconcerting to know that something isn’t quite right with the car that could compromise safety.

My car does this too. I believe It's because you are turning the steering wheel with the brakes on. You can try it again with the brakes off and not on hold and observe if it happens. I believe it's just the brakes slipping on the rotor.
I’ve tried not braking and also tried it on not hold, but it seems to be getting better over time *crosses fingers.

I have the same problem. I took delivery 6/1. I took my M3 to the service center yesterday. I had the technician ride with me so I can show him the sounds. He even drove the car, and the noise when turning and vibration in the wheel happened several times with him driving. When we got back to the service center he told my SA that it was " normal suspension noise". I almost lost my Sh*t trying to explain how can that be normal? Noise and vibration every time I turn to park or pull into my drive way.?! NOT normal.

This was at the Temecula service center. I had a really negative experience overall. All of the techs were extremely rude. After talking to several people at the end I was told the same thing. It's a known issue and hopefully a firmware fix will resolve it. I told them so it's a "know Issue" then and not "normal" right?. They just stared at me like I was out of my mind. I love the car overall but my purchasing/service experience has been the worst of my life.

Sept 2022 Model Y here. I took my car in for this and other issues. This noise/vibration happens to me when making a K-turn with STOP mode and letting the car stop by itself (no brake pedal pressure applied by me).

The tech drove the car and acknowledged it but after getting car back from servicing it was not commented on. They told me to come back so they could do a test drive and I told them the tech already drove it and acked it. No way I'm disrupting my day to drive 40 mins each way so I can show them AGAIN what they already know. They spoke to the tech and now they've ordered front half shafts for replacement.

Anyone know if this is a likely cause? I really don't want them replacing parts on a new car only for it to cause new issues.

Same issue as everyone else. I have a M3LR that I took delivery on 9/13 for. I took it to the service center and had the tech ride with me so he could hear.

Its been a few days and they told me that they are going to replace the drive unit. Ill let everyone know what the end result is.

Reactions: Alkor
My dad went in for this problem on his new Y yesterday. Service told him it's normal as you turn the wheel all the way. What BS! Brushing off an older guy who doesn't know how to handle Tesla service.

I'll go in with him next time.

I took my M3P in today and as expected was turned away with no fix.

“Verified noise with customer on site. Upon further inspection i found that this is a normal characteristic of this vehicle due to high tolerances between the halfshafts and the front drive unit. This noise may lessen as more miles are put on these components. No trouble found.”

Never had this problem on the 3 or Y, but it's doing it on the new S.

Here's what it sound like:

Is that what it sounds like for everyone else?

And ignore the horrible amount of gear noise on a brand new 6 figure car. That's a whole other issue...
2022 Model X, mine makes the same noise. Front drive inverter was already replaced as it failed at ~1,000 miles. If they have to replace the drive unit, not looking forward to another 3 weeks at service waiting for parts :( But I suppose I shouldn't need to leave it this time.