Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grooves etched into rotor, why and what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D9D033FE-3C65-4778-8B1C-1B058DCC088B.jpeg
What is your braking technique? Do you use regen? Are those marks deep or barely there?
Looking at the inner circle of the brake surface, it seems worn to me from heavy braking
My p3d has one third of your mileage and my rotors look new but I use regen almost exclusively
Would be helpful to get a picture of the brake pad material too, don’t know if you can get your phone/camera inside the wheel spokes to get a decent snap?

Last edited:
View attachment 605848 What is your braking technique? Do you use regen? Are those marks deep or barely there?
Looking at the inner circle of the brake surface, it seems worn to me from heavy braking
My p3d has one third of your mileage and my rotors look new but I use regen almost exclusively
Would be helpful to get a picture of the brake pad material too, don’t know if you can get your phone/camera inside the wheel spokes to get a decent snap?

I mostly rely on regenerative braking, rarely touch the brake pedal.

Wondering if this could be rust on the rotor. The outer grooves look like rust. The inner grooves it is hard to tell. I had a similar issue but all the grooves were actually "proud" from the rotor. I think it is mainly due to lack of use and rust on the rotor which puts grooves in the pads.

This post has what I did to fix as I did not think Tesla would cover under warranty.