Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grooves etched into rotor, why and what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like you got something between the pads and Rotors.... either that or that's your warning track.... LOL

I'm super interested at this point... really not sure how it would be possible to get something in between the pads and rotor that would be capable of that kind of damage unless the pad itself has broken off.

We had a CPO Chevy Bolt with all 4 rotors that looked like this. Dealership is calling it "lot rot." Apparently if the brakes aren't used for a very long time, the rotor rust gets bad enough that it will actually eat groves into the pads. Then, where the pad is making decent contact the rotor looks fine. Where the pad has been chewed out, you get these gnarly grooves.

Could be a service adviser talking out of their @$$, but made sense for a vehicle that rarely uses brakes. Brakes replaced prior to purchase in this case.

I'm super interested at this point... really not sure how it would be possible to get something in between the pads and rotor that would be capable of that kind of damage unless the pad itself has broken off.

You do realize that the pads are not in contact with the rotor 100% of the time. Maybe there was something that got between them in the assembly process. As mentioned maybe the calipers were sticking and burned into the warning tracks.

Ok I don't remember where I saw this but one guy had same issue with his Model 3 rotors. Comes to find out there is some kind of plate either next to a brakes or behind a brakes came lose and damages his rotors. Schedule a service asap and something is lose that causing this damage. I tried to find a forum where I saw this, but couldn't. I'll keep searching....

You do realize that the pads are not in contact with the rotor 100% of the time. Maybe there was something that got between them in the assembly process. As mentioned maybe the calipers were sticking and burned into the warning tracks.

Yes obviously I understand that, but The pads are pretty much in light contact with the rotor all the time. If you look at that rotor that is not like a little surface scratched it looks like it’s actually cut deep into the rotor. For something that size to get in between the rotor and the pad would be pretty much impossible unless the pad itself has disintegrated in some manner.

Ok I don't remember where I saw this but one guy had same issue with his Model 3 rotors. Comes to find out there is some kind of plate either next to a brakes or behind a brakes came lose and damages his rotors. Schedule a service asap and something is lose that causing this damage. I tried to find a forum where I saw this, but couldn't. I'll keep searching....

Service is scheduled for next Thursday.

Reactions: VT_EE
My 2012 BMW had 1200 miles on it when the two front rotors developed similar grooves but only one on each rotor. They replaced the rotors and pads under warranty. My guess is it was the pads themselves, something wrong or embedded that happened in manufacturing, which cut into the rotors. They certainly weren't worn, they were brand new and the car hadn't been there that long when I purchased it.

After they replaced them, I put 45k more miles on it and the rotors were still in great condition.

Yes obviously I understand that, but The pads are pretty much in light contact with the rotor all the time. If you look at that rotor that is not like a little surface scratched it looks like it’s actually cut deep into the rotor. For something that size to get in between the rotor and the pad would be pretty much impossible unless the pad itself has disintegrated in some manner.

Calipers are not exactly installed fully extended. Lots of room to have something between a fully retracted caliper with pad and rotor. I am sure they also wouldn't be the first factory in history to install pads backwards either if that was the case... LOL You never know

Reactions: Sam1
SC won’t warranty it. Use your brakes more. Don’t let the car sit if it gets wet driving or after washing. Model 3 Perf are more prone to it because the brakes are huge for “normal” use so they are less prone to burn off moisture from light use (one pedal driving). You get heavy duty brakes you need more heavy duty use to keep them in shape.

I highly doubt there is/was a pebble in there, which wouldn’t be covered either.

That groove happened gradually. If a pebble got stuck in there to make that groove you’d know in an instant.

There are other threads about this.