Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground Clearance and Steep Driveways - Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 Performance, so obviously the worst in this respect and to be honest, I don't have a problem with approach and departure angles. I live in an extremely steep and hilly area with stupid road entrances and driveways everywhere. Even driving out my own driveway I have been known to lift wheels. Basically the "wheel at each corner" approach of Tesla means that approach and departure will rarely be a problem.

Ramp angle is another matter altogether. A low slung car combined with a very long wheelbase for the vehicle size means that it is quite easy to belly drag the car going over lumps, aggressive crests over driveway entrances and so on. Never going to be a problem on a normal road, but driveways are a different matter. Fortunately, the undercarriage is pretty smooth and well-protected so you are unlikely to do much damage.

Reactions: TrickyRickyDoo
I was considering buying a house with a very steep driveway. I asked the estate agent at the open home if I could stick around for a bit after the open home had finished to see if I could get in and out of the garage from the steep driveway with my car. So I got down okay and then trying to go back up I scraped the front then had trouble trying to correct, it was pretty dicey. It was a bit of a deal breaker having such a steep driveway and tight entrance to the garage. In the end the real deal breaker was found through a building inspection in which a builder discovered a lack of building paper used to waterproof the house, so I dodged a bullet there.

I was considering buying a house with a very steep driveway. I asked the estate agent at the open home if I could stick around for a bit after the open home had finished to see if I could get in and out of the garage from the steep driveway with my car. So I got down okay and then trying to go back up I scraped the front then had trouble trying to correct, it was pretty dicey. It was a bit of a deal breaker having such a steep driveway and tight entrance to the garage. In the end the real deal breaker was found through a building inspection in which a builder discovered a lack of building paper used to waterproof the house, so I dodged a bullet there.
Building paper has been proven to be an ineffective vapour barrier (its not a waterproofer) and a waste of money and so the newest version of the national construction code (australia) building requires a different type of product

I have a 3LR and an extremely steep driveway. No problems. But as has been mentioned, it is more the long wheel base rather than ground clearance per se. So it totally depends upon the particular driveway. I have had two small scrapes in the past 14months each in a Sydney car park with a ridiculous dip at the entrance meaning that I actually scraped under the front bumper. There was also a gentleman of about 120kg in the passenger seat as well as my 95kg which might not have helped. I noted a number of other cars also scraped. I used to have a V70 Volvo Station Wagon and it scraped far more than the 3LR ever has. My daughter has a remote property with a very rugged 4WD only driveway with a lot of washaways and gouges and we've been over that several times without touching anything.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 7.38.58 pm.png

Thanks for the responses, we are in the process of building, so hoping that it'll be fine once its finished.

Reactions: Hairyman
is scraping any real concern for Tesla? Does it cause any significant damage?
If ever you need a battery looked at and tesla finds significant scrapes they may take a less than charitable view
If i recall correctly the minimum driveway angle should be no more than 12.5⁰.

the iPhone has an angle measurement (app = measure, use spirit level section

If ny angle is more than 12.5⁰ - I heard 15⁰ good change the M3 will scrape.

It is possible to install a rubber bump at a strategic position onthe driveway to improve ramp angle of the vehicle so that it does not scrape.

Last edited:
If ever you need a battery looked at and tesla finds significant scrapes they may take a less than charitable view
If i recall correctly the minimum driveway angle should be no more than 12.5⁰.

the iPhone has an angle measurement (app = measure, use spirit level section

If ny angle is more than 12.5⁰ - I heard 15⁰ good change the M3 will scrape.

It is possible to install a rubber bump at a strategic position onthe driveway to improve ramp angle of the vehicle so that it does not scrape.
It is not the angle of the driveway that causes scrapes, it is the transitions at each end. So flat to 15 degrees will be an issue, whereas a transition of flat to 5m of 7.5 degrees then another 7.5 degrees to 15 degrees will present no issue with scraping. It only becomes a traction issue. Maximum transitioned are detailed in AS2890. For memory the Standard is based on 80th percentile vehicles, so it does not cover the extremes.

Thank you @paulp and @Quickst for that insight.

It's been 9 months and I haven't scraped on this Model Y.
I thought I did on Saturday, but after watching the video, it really doesn't look like it. Instead, the horrid sound I heard was the anti-slip.

But in general, is light scraping really much of a concern? The battery and the undercarriage are quite protected, right?

The battery and the undercarriage are quite protected, right?
Nothing is completely protected.
I would not want to turn up to a Tesla service centre with a battery issue and lots of scrapes and dents in the bottom.
There is a protective steel plate but its a pity the battery does not sit slightly higher in the car compared with the jack points of the car

Reactions: ACRei and paulp
It's been 9 months and I haven't scraped on this Model Y.
A solution by a M3 owner:
in his previous posts he says the MY also scrapes but no as badly
In his case he says the plastic rockers are the scraping and not the battery bottom. Look up his other related posts.

As this was a strata driveway, the strats did not want to modify the driveway because no one else had a scraping problem.

The new BYD Seal would be problematic as well as it has a longer wheelbase.

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 11.45.08 am.png

Reactions: ACRei and Quickst