Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance on performance and PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t decide between the 2 performance models. I now have an order for both but will only take one. Think ground clearance for regular performance is 6.5 inches. Anyone have measurements on PUP options. Also if you switched to Gemini wheels and tires would we go back to 315 mile range.
I thought like everyone I was getting in March but now it’s certainly going to be at least 2 month wait.
Also if I put the Gemini shell and tire on how much lower than regular performance?

I can’t decide between the 2 performance models. I now have an order for both but will only take one. Think ground clearance for regular performance is 6.5 inches. Anyone have measurements on PUP options. Also if you switched to Gemini wheels and tires would we go back to 315 mile range.
I thought like everyone I was getting in March but now it’s certainly going to be at least 2 month wait.
FWIW, I've ordered the MYP with the PUP, but I fully expect to eventually wind up with smaller tires.

Also if you switched to Gemini wheels and tires would we go back to 315 mile range?
The most efficient dual motor configuration, with Tesla components, would be the P/PU with Gemini wheels. In that configuration, the lowered suspension and spoiler help increase efficiently a slight amount, in addition to the more aero efficient wheels and lower rolling resistance tires.

The theoretical EPA range would be 316 mi plus maybe 1-2% for the suspension and spoiler at highway speeds.

Wouldn't a spoiler decrease range due to increase in downforce? I think the lower suspension with a removed spoiler would net the best performance, granted that spoiler is so small I am guessing it's within the margin of any error.

Wouldn't a spoiler decrease range due to increase in downforce?
No, it is a common misunderstanding that these spoilers create downforce. The "spoilers" of the design on these cars do not increase downforce. They reduce lift and the drag associated with that lift. Less lift means less drag.

A wing, which is different than a spoiler, creates downforce, or more specifically lift in the down direction, and has a drag penalty associated with that lift. This is highly simplified. The airflow around a wing in close relation to the rear of a car is actually much more complicated.

Last edited:
The most efficient dual motor configuration, with Tesla components, would be the P/PU with Gemini wheels. In that configuration, the lowered suspension and spoiler help increase efficiently a slight amount, in addition to the more aero efficient wheels and lower rolling resistance tires.

The theoretical EPA range would be 316 mi plus maybe 1-2% for the suspension and spoiler at highway speeds.

@Zoomit, Spot On!
Screenshot_20200606-210635_Tesla.jpg

20200606_103202.jpg 20200606_153639.jpg Screenshot_20200606-210635_Tesla.jpg