Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have they changed the Model S air suspension so you can drive at normal speeds with the extra clearance? If not, I would prefer something closer to the Outback's clearance with OUT being restricted to lower speeds required by air suspension.

Generally you get better mileage with lower suspension, and if you need the extra clearance you are generally going slower. You aren't likely to be offroading at 60mph. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "normal speeds", but the Model S will go from extra high to high at 22 mph, from high to standard at 34 mph and is configurable when it goes from standard to low.

Of course this is all controlled by software and they could easily have different parameters for the Model X.

Generally you get better mileage with lower suspension, and if you need the extra clearance you are generally going slower. You aren't likely to be offroading at 60mph. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "normal speeds", but the Model S will go from extra high to high at 22 mph, from high to standard at 34 mph and is configurable when it goes from standard to low.

Of course this is all controlled by software and they could easily have different parameters for the Model X.

Thanks for the limit speeds for each height setting. I do not plan to off road with a MX. There are a lot of dirt roads where I live which means medium to deep ruts at certain times of the year. I would just like a vehicle that Elon Musk refers to as an SUV to be able to handle that without having to reach for height controls or having the vehicle lower itself on a rut because I crossed the 35mph threshold. The MS already fills the lower clearance, longer milage niche. I was hoping the MX would deserve the U for Utility that the SUV vehicle category implies. Of course I want range too, so there is a breaking point or compromise that I am sure Tesla is figuring out as we speak with their millions of miles of testing on their release candidate MX's...

Thanks for the limit speeds for each height setting. I do not plan to off road with a MX. There are a lot of dirt roads where I live which means medium to deep ruts at certain times of the year. I would just like a vehicle that Elon Musk refers to as an SUV to be able to handle that without having to reach for height controls or having the vehicle lower itself on a rut because I crossed the 35mph threshold. The MS already fills the lower clearance, longer milage niche. I was hoping the MX would deserve the U for Utility that the SUV vehicle category implies. Of course I want range too, so there is a breaking point or compromise that I am sure Tesla is figuring out as we speak with their millions of miles of testing on their release candidate MX's...

FWIW, many adaptive air cars lower automatically for highway speeds. I wonder if that potential spoiler in the Model X could help offset such need.

Personally, I don't hate auto-lowering for highway so much, but what I hate is not getting back up afterwards. Location-based settings can alleviate this a little in Model S, but best would be always up or automatically back up...

Thanks BHUtopia for ground clearance comparison:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84513&d=1434663940.jpg

Model X Mule Sightings - Page 90