Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for fun I looked up some of the most popular CUV's ground clearance numbers. Here they are:
Nissan Rogue: 8.4
Toyota RAV4: 8.4-8.6
Toyota Highlander 8
Jeep Cherokee 8.7
Ford Explorer: 7.8
Honda CR-V:
I would love to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5 inches of ground clearance, but even 7 would be ok. My guess based on the reveal stream is that the Model Y Tesla showed was considerably under 7 inches if not under 6. It looked like the same clearance as the M3 making it a poor substitute for a minivan instead of true CUV. I get that a CUV is different than an SUV, but hey look at the numbers above.

I feel it will be 6.0" to 6.5". This is what I found some of the EV CUV ground clearance:
  • Hyundai Kona EV: 6.2"
  • Kia Niro EV: 6.1"
  • Nissan Leaf+: 5.9"
  • Jaguar I-PACE: 5.6"
  • Audi Q4 e-tron: 6.9"
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC: just over 5"

Model 3 cargo capacity of 15 cubic feet includes the trunk and frunk space only, Model Y cargo capacity of 66 cubic feet is the maximum cargo volume which is with the second row seats folded flat. It would be helpful if Tesla provided cargo volume behind each row of seats similar to other manufacturers. As an example Toyota highlander which is a 3 row suv has a cargo volume behind front/second-row/third-row seats of 83.7/42.3/13.8 cubic feet. Cargo volume drops to almost half with second row seats up. I believe the wheel base of Model 3 and Model Y will be very close if not identical. Model Y is higher (3-4 inches?), has a hatchback shape in the back which gives more cargo room and has a deeper frunk. With the 3rd row option the cargo room behind the 3 rd row would be very limited.

Last edited:
I feel it will be 6.0" to 6.5". This is what I found some of the EV CUV ground clearance:
  • Hyundai Kona EV: 6.2"
  • Kia Niro EV: 6.1"
  • Nissan Leaf+: 5.9"
  • Jaguar I-PACE: 5.6"
  • Audi Q4 e-tron: 6.9"
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC: just over 5"

The jaguar I pace has an air suspension that provides greater clearance. I’m tempted to buy the y but between the ground clearance and the all glass roof which I think isn’t a good idea cause it will end up cracking from debris in the air I may hold off. I keep reading of cracks in the all glass roof on the 3 from rocks or whatever reason. Hope it’s covered under warranty

Model 3 cargo capacity of 15 cubic feet includes the trunk and frunk space only, Model Y cargo capacity of 66 cubic feet is the maximum cargo volume which is with the second row seats folded flat. It would be helpful if Tesla provided cargo volume behind each row of seats similar to other manufacturers. As an example Toyota highlander which is a 3 row suv has a cargo volume behind front/second-row/third-row seats of 83.7/42.3/13.8 cubic feet. Cargo volume drops to almost half with second row seats up. I believe the wheel base of Model 3 and Model Y will be very close if not identical. Model Y is higher (3-4 inches?), has a hatchback shape in the back which gives more cargo room and has a deeper frunk. With the 3rd row option the cargo room behind the 3 rd row would be very limited.

Tesla Model 3 is roughly 3 CF for the frunk and 12 CF for the trunk with a total 15 CF. For the Tesla Model Y, lets assume the frunk is slightly larger at 4 CF. This leaves 62 CF of luggage volume with the second row seats down. Now lets compare luggage volume of some of the competitors:

Competitor, Volume behind front seat/volume behind second-row

Infiniti QX50, 64.1/31.4
Volvo XC60, 63.3/29.7
Porsche Macan S, 52.9/17.6
BMW X3, 62.7/28.7
Audi Q5, 53.1/25.1
Lexus NX 300, 54.6/17.7
Acura RDX, 58.9/29.5
Jaguar I-PACE, 51/23.3
Audi Q4 e-tron, 57/28.5
Hyundai Kona EV, 45.8/19.2
Kia Niro EV, 53/18.5
Nissan Leaf+, 30/23.6
Based on the above list, I'll say the Tesla Model Y will have 62/25 CF with 4 CF frunk, total 66 CF. For added comparison, the Model S has 58.1/26.3 CF with a 5.3 CF frunk, total 63.3). I do not think there would be much room for cargo behind the 3rd row.

Tesla Model 3 is roughly 3 CF for the frunk and 12 CF for the trunk with a total 15 CF. For the Tesla Model Y, lets assume the frunk is slightly larger at 4 CF. This leaves 62 CF of luggage volume with the second row seats down. Now lets compare luggage volume of some of the competitors:

Competitor, Volume behind front seat/volume behind second-row

Infiniti QX50, 64.1/31.4
Volvo XC60, 63.3/29.7
Porsche Macan S, 52.9/17.6
BMW X3, 62.7/28.7
Audi Q5, 53.1/25.1
Lexus NX 300, 54.6/17.7
Acura RDX, 58.9/29.5
Jaguar I-PACE, 51/23.3
Audi Q4 e-tron, 57/28.5
Hyundai Kona EV, 45.8/19.2
Kia Niro EV, 53/18.5
Nissan Leaf+, 30/23.6
Based on the above list, I'll say the Tesla Model Y will have 62/25 CF with 4 CF frunk, total 66 CF. For added comparison, the Model S has 58.1/26.3 CF with a 5.3 CF frunk, total 63.3). I do not think there would be much room for cargo behind the 3rd row.

How do you get to 62/25? Every other car in your list, including the Model S, has a better ratio of overall vs behind-2nd-row cargo space. Seems like it would be more like 62/28 if the other vehicles listed are anything to go on.

How do you get to 62/25? Every other car in your list, including the Model S, has a better ratio of overall vs behind-2nd-row cargo space. Seems like it would be more like 62/28 if the other vehicles listed are anything to go on.

I'll admit I am being conservative with the guess. 28 CF is possible. I went with 25 CF for storage behind the second row for the following reasons:
  • ICE cars in my list have a more boxy rear end that helps with cargo area. The Model Y's cargo space is limited by the rear roof slope. On average, I expect them to beat the Model Y. This sets the upper limit.
  • The EVs in my list have a smaller cargo area in general . On average, I expect the Model Y to beat them. This sets the lower limit.
  • In addition, the Model Y has a similar shape to a Prius (3rd generation) with cargo capacity of 67.3/21.6. Like a Prius, the Model Y's 2nd row passenger seats/cargo area will be higher than average.
  • For marketing purposes, the Model Y may have less rear cargo space than the Tesla Model S.

I'll admit I am being conservative with the guess. 28 CF is possible. I went with 25 CF for storage behind the second row for the following reasons:
  • ICE cars in my list have a more boxy rear end that helps with cargo area. The Model Y's cargo space is limited by the rear roof slope. On average, I expect them to beat the Model Y. This sets the upper limit.
  • The EVs in my list have a smaller cargo area in general . On average, I expect the Model Y to beat them. This sets the lower limit.
  • In addition, the Model Y has a similar shape to a Prius (3rd generation) with cargo capacity of 67.3/21.6. Like a Prius, the Model Y's 2nd row passenger seats/cargo area will be higher than average.
  • For marketing purposes, the Model Y may have less rear cargo space than the Tesla Model S.

Going the other way... the Model Y should gain rear cargo space compared to an ICE because of the "under-trunk"... where the gas tank would normally be.

Just for fun I looked up some of the most popular CUV's ground clearance numbers. Here they are:
Nissan Rogue: 8.4
Toyota RAV4: 8.4-8.6
Toyota Highlander 8
Jeep Cherokee 8.7
Ford Explorer: 7.8
Honda CR-V:
I would love to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5 inches of ground clearance, but even 7 would be ok. My guess based on the reveal stream is that the Model Y Tesla showed was considerably under 7 inches if not under 6. It looked like the same clearance as the M3 making it a poor substitute for a minivan instead of true CUV. I get that a CUV is different than an SUV, but hey look at the numbers above.

Also, the Subaru Outback has all-wheel drive and 8.7 inch ground clearance. It must do well by most folks, as it looks like we've been invaded up in the Colorado Rockies by Outbacks (I have one myself).

However, I would like to make my next car a Tesla, so I am keenly interested in which one would make the best mountain car.

Also, the Subaru Outback has all-wheel drive and 8.7 inch ground clearance. It must do well by most folks, as it looks like we've been invaded up in the Colorado Rockies by Outbacks (I have one myself).

However, I would like to make my next car a Tesla, so I am keenly interested in which one would make the best mountain car.
Outback will probably have more clearance. The MY shown looks to be lower for better efficiency.

The Outback is awesome. My father had a 2005 XT 5MT and I’ve had 3 WRX and an STI.

Those that are hopeful that it will have lots of ground clearance need to understand that one of the big selling points is that it will be one of the best handling small/mid sized SUVs. This will get it lots more market share than if it is raised up to appeal to the off roaders.

Raising it up will significantly reduce it's range and efficiency.

Best we can hope for is optional air suspension. Could make everyone happy. Better ride, better handling, longer range, and additional clearance when desired. All the benefits, just by clicking an option box and writing a slightly bigger check :)

Alternative will be having the aftermarket provide additional off road capabilities for the few that will really benefit.

The ride height is also important for winter travelling. I live in the snow belt in the lee of Lake Huron, and a typical winter drive to work will involve snow packed roads with deep snow and drifting. Higher ground clearance means creating tracks instead of plowing the snow with the nose (has happened several times in other cars). Where drifting occurs, you have to get a "run" at them to get through, or you end up with your car hung up on the drift.
Have a reservation for a Y hoping the extra ground clearance will make drives to work less "exciting."

The ride height is also important for winter travelling. I live in the snow belt in the lee of Lake Huron, and a typical winter drive to work will involve snow packed roads with deep snow and drifting. Higher ground clearance means creating tracks instead of plowing the snow with the nose (has happened several times in other cars). Where drifting occurs, you have to get a "run" at them to get through, or you end up with your car hung up on the drift.
Have a reservation for a Y hoping the extra ground clearance will make drives to work less "exciting."
mpp-1-75-suspension-lift-kit

Huh, so if you put 255/40/18's on it, you could potentially have a high seat position car. That's not so bad. No one actually uses or needs the ground clearance they think they do. People that actually need clearance have trucks or Wranglers.

I could see needing ground clearance in an area with huge, heavy wet snows and poor to no plowing (not an issue in CO though so I've never had a problem with low cars). You could always try it out and add a lift kit if it's not working out I guess.

Reactions: dfwjensen