Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cleantechnica.com estimates 6" based on photos , which is only 1/2 inch higher than the M3. I can't believe anyone can seriously call the M3 an SUV. It's a hatchback Pure and simple. Well, maybe the third row makes it a mini-minivan. But SUV? No way. And I actually really like it.

Tesla Model Y Off-Road Ability: What We Know So Far | CleanTechnica

Not sure about air suspension, but "the fact that it has CV joints puts a hard limit on what kind of clearance could be added without some fairly extreme modifications."

• Informative
Reactions: jas and gt2690b
Just for fun I looked up some of the most popular CUV's ground clearance numbers. Here they are:
Nissan Rogue: 8.4
Toyota RAV4: 8.4-8.6
Toyota Highlander 8
Jeep Cherokee 8.7
Ford Explorer: 7.8
Honda CR-V:
I would love to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5 inches of ground clearance, but even 7 would be ok. My guess based on the reveal stream is that the Model Y Tesla showed was considerably under 7 inches if not under 6. It looked like the same clearance as the M3 making it a poor substitute for a minivan instead of true CUV. I get that a CUV is different than an SUV, but hey look at the numbers above.

Tire size more like 0.8 larger in diameter than Model 3. Gives .4" increase in clearance.

Electric driveline is fantantastic for off road, with exquisite throttle control, amazing low speed torque and electronic traction control.

Imagine Tesla is talking off road like the dirt road to a waterfall or cabin. Not like competing in The Hammers.

Those that are hopeful that it will have lots of ground clearance need to understand that one of the big selling points is that it will be one of the best handling small/mid sized SUVs. This will get it lots more market share than if it is raised up to appeal to the off roaders.

Raising it up will significantly reduce it's range and efficiency.

Best we can hope for is optional air suspension. Could make everyone happy. Better ride, better handling, longer range, and additional clearance when desired. All the benefits, just by clicking an option box and writing a slightly bigger check :)

Alternative will be having the aftermarket provide additional off road capabilities for the few that will really benefit.

Reactions: gene
If Air Suspension is offered at the $2500 that it was for S and X, I'm in. Only problem is that at this point I don't know how likely it would be to be offered at the start of production, if the Model 3 is any indication. Sure, it may be more integral to the Model Y as an SUV (Crossover), but since it wasn't there at the start of orders...

So 6.3" is likely the minimum ground clearance based on the tires + M3's existing ground clearance. It's a good start, but I would love to see at least 7".

Only problem is that at this point I don't know how likely it would be to be offered at the start of production,
I suspect air suspension is not in the current plan for initial Y production or else they would have mentioned the capacity somewhere. I think if they change their mind, they could easily offer it as an additional option (a la, 3rd row seats) and let those that pre-ordered update to it if desired. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the option limited to LR cars or AWD cars.