TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by mitchellh3, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:27 AM.

1. mitchellh3

mitchellh3 Member

Does anyone have any idea what the expected ground clearance of the roadster is?

I want to reserve one and I'd probably send my wire for a founders edition tomorrow if I knew the answer to this.

I have a driveway where even with the Model S (~5" clearance) I scrape the bottom every time I drive in and out. I've taken it to a service center and they said this isn't a problem, they actually can't even tell if I didn't tell them, I think due to the protective shield on the battery.

Tesla support told me "you'll wear down your driveway before you wear down that shield." So I feel good about it.

But for the roadster, I'm curious what the clearance likely is.

-------------------------------

And please, I've already talked to multiple contractors about fixing the slope and also looked at 3rd party solutions like those rubber mats. Due to the style of my driveway, it isn't possible.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No one outside of Tesla knows what the new Roadster ground clearance will be. I can speculate, with what I feel is a relatively high degree of confidence, that it will be something less than the Model S.

3. Kgorilla37

Kgorilla37 Member

If it comes with air suspension then it can go up and down, and that might solve things. My driveway is a challenge as well, so I am interested in the answer as well

4. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

OP: You probably know this already but most cars in the class of the 2020 Roadster have some sort of front axle lift system (Porsche GT3, Lambo, etc.). Seems like Tesla w/ the air suspension know-how would at least consider such an option on the Roadster.

5. JoshPA

JoshPA Member

Most super cars have a front suspension lift button - F cars, Lambo, even the new vette. It would be pretty odd for the Roadster to not have that capability.

• Like x 1
  6. wenkan

wenkan Member

I guess the spaceX version will just fly over.