Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground Fault Threshold for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hcsharp

Jun 7, 2011
Vermont
Does anybody know the amount of ground leakage that is common when charging the Model S? A couple of Model S owners here on TMC have posted about problems using ChargePro and Schneider charging stations, both of which are cheaply built in China using an incorrect 5 ma threshold. The Roadster leaks 18ma and won't charge on them. Clipper Creek, Coulomb (makes most ChargePoint), Eaton, GE, most AeroVironment, and most Blink use the proper 20 ma threshold. Has anyone had any luck with ChargePro or Schneider? If so, do you have dual chargers or single 40A?

Schneider knows about the Roadster issue, but says the Model S is fine with their chargers.

There is a Schneider unit in Wenatchee WA that did not work with my Roadster, but did work with my Model S.

I have twin chargers, but it was a 30A unit.

Schneider knows about the Roadster issue, but says the Model S is fine with their chargers.

There is a Schneider unit in Wenatchee WA that did not work with my Roadster, but did work with my Model S.

I have twin chargers, but it was a 30A unit.

It looks like Schneider has come out with a new line of public chargers branded EVLINK. I acquired the spec sheets and the GFCI trip point is now 20ma -good news. Their old data sheets indicating 5ma are now labeled as "legacy". The cheap ChargePro brand (made by Schneider) still indicates 5ma on their data sheets. Although 5ma should be adequate for the MS, it's too close to be consistently trouble-free and won't work for most Roadsters.

Ah, cool. I'd heard of EVLINK but thought it was just a branding change; I didn't realize the hardware was different.

I do know they were talking about going to 20ma; for a while they talked about updating units in the field too, but as far as I can tell that has not happened.