Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground light on bottom of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MODEL X PUDDLE LIGHTS: I used my leftover replaced lights from Abstract Ocean & drilled hole through the lens. Everything was going fine until I discovered The FRONT door storage compartment in the 2017 Model X is so low in the door-well there is not enough clearance for these 2.25" tall puddle lights. Has Anyone installed them in front doors of Model X, I am thinking it could be done but need advice on where to drill hole along bottom of door. Keep in mind driver's front door is "self presenting" and has sensors. Thanks in advance.
There are some lights available that are smaller and will clip in place

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 95
Hey Norm, I have searched on google but have not been successful finding what you are showing. Got any suggestions where I might find these "Shorter" puddle lights? Thank you.
They are available on Ebay. But I have not found any with Tesla logos and to order with custom logo is complicated and adds a lot to the cost. I have figured out how to make the logo film and I just ordered with any logo and switch them out. I also made adapters that fit into
the stock puddle light hole. I assume that the stock lights are same for X & S. These lights are 1 1/4 long.

I am trying to find source to buy these lights in bulk and make ready to install kits.

Norm
2PCS Projector emblem Logo Ghost Courtesy Door LED Light fit for Cadillac J13 | eBay

Reactions: Spyder14
Norm, why couldn't I take the Lighted Tesla T (Custom Logo) out of the long puddle lights and insert them into the short puddle lights? I think they should be interchangeable. However, I am no expert on this by any means.

Here is a photo of my puddle lights dismantled. These are two inches long, note how the Logo Lens slips out and can be inserted in other puddle lights. I just measured and MX only has 1 inch of vertical space to install puddle light. However, it might be possible to move them outward and the cavity gets taller. What happens when you take that drill bit (included) when drilling through the leather door panel? Don't want to tear that up. See two photos.unnamed-7.jpgunnamed-6.jpg

Last edited:
Mine work fine but were a bit of a challenge to install. As I wrote earlier, I chose to use the current light opening & clear lens so the drilling was not 100% fool-proof. I find it interesting that there are so many projector-type lights but no Tesla versions that are plug-n-play into the current configuration. The first 2 I bought & installed did not have the same type of logo lens as Scottie's. I ordered 2 more for the rear & we'll see if they are the same after they get off the slow boat from China!

NORM: can you make & sell me the "adapter plate" you made assuming they fit the other version on eBay (with the screw locking nut)?

Mine work fine but were a bit of a challenge to install. As I wrote earlier, I chose to use the current light opening & clear lens so the drilling was not 100% fool-proof. I find it interesting that there are so many projector-type lights but no Tesla versions that are plug-n-play into the current configuration. The first 2 I bought & installed did not have the same type of logo lens as Scottie's. I ordered 2 more for the rear & we'll see if they are the same after they get off the slow boat from China!

NORM: can you make & sell me the "adapter plate" you made assuming they fit the other version on eBay (with the screw locking nut)?
I started by making some to fit the lights with the 2 locking rings, but the hole in the mounting plate was too close to the edge and could break easily.

Here is a photo of my puddle lights dismantled. These are two inches long, note how the Logo Lens slips out and can be inserted in other puddle lights. I just measured and MX only has 1 inch of vertical space to install puddle light. However, it might be possible to move them outward and the cavity gets taller. What happens when you take that drill bit (included) when drilling through the leather door panel? Don't want to tear that up. See two photos.View attachment 217829View attachment 217830
I would cover the area with some painters tape, the blue or green stuff. Drill a pilot hole same size or slightly smaller than the hole saw provided. As the drill bit will grab when it goes thru the plastic door panel and want to pull the hole saw into the panel and can cause it to tear up the leather. After you have the pilot hole drilled , insert the hole saw and run the drill backwards slowly to cut thru the leather, then forward to cut thru the plastic.

I would cover the area with some painters tape, the blue or green stuff. Drill a pilot hole same size or slightly smaller than the hole saw provided. As the drill bit will grab when it goes thru the plastic door panel and want to pull the hole saw into the panel and can cause it to tear up the leather. After you have the pilot hole drilled , insert the hole saw and run the drill backwards slowly to cut thru the leather, then forward to cut thru the plastic.

You know I mean this will all respect...That's god damn genius Gump!
28773f47-02ab-4508-84e9-ee3610820b1d.jpg

I received all the hardware from Mouser Electronics this morning & off to the garage I went! I used the Dremel with a small sandpaper drum to enlarge the opening on the bottom of the door panel and boner! I have a lot of the male pins left over from Mouser (the min buy is 100) so if someone wants a few, let me know.
View attachment 217054
Hey Spyder14 so how can I receive some of those male pins I would like 10 possible

I still face a dilemma, MX has only 1 inch of vertical space to install puddle light. I was thinking about drilling new hole closer to outside edge of door and try to go behind the door storage area (of which I am happy to have). However, I have decided since I am leasing the vehicle, I am not going to drill any holes. I am still hoping someone makes a courtesy "puddle" light that is only 1" in length that can be installed in the existing courtesy light mounting hole. I mention this hoping someone has some solutions for MX owners. Thank you.

Reactions: Akikiki
I still face a dilemma, MX has only 1 inch of vertical space to install puddle light. I was thinking about drilling new hole closer to outside edge of door and try to go behind the door storage area (of which I am happy to have). However, I have decided since I am leasing the vehicle, I am not going to drill any holes. I am still hoping someone makes a courtesy "puddle" light that is only 1" in length that can be installed in the existing courtesy light mounting hole. I mention this hoping someone has some solutions for MX owners. Thank you.
If you get down to Phoenix area look me up, I bet we can come up with a solution. I think I could make some mounting plates the would work, but would need access to an X . We may be taking a trip to Vegas this spring, if so I will let you know .

Norm

Very nicely done.

Can you post a link to the lighted appliqué?

Also, if I could figure out how to PM you, I'd like to get a set of those pins from you - I'd be glad to pay you for them.

Sure! There are two sites were you can get them. I have attached them below. The first link is the actual engineer who made the appliqué. He has since expanded his product on evannex site as well.

Lastly, as for your comment on "pins". Can you be more specific? You may have me mistaken for some one else.

EV Appliques
Lighted Emblem for Tesla Model S

Hey Norm, mighty kind of you to offer. If you come to Vegas in Spring, We would love to let you have a look at our 2017 MX front doors with pockets that come within 1 inch from the bottom of door panel. Thank you and I will definitely let you know if we are heading to Phoenix.
Scottie...