Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground light on bottom of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got around to installing my 4 custom puddle projectors.
I have a 2014 P85Dl non-pup
The fronts were really easy. Took apart the old puddle lamp and drilled out the lens to fit the new projector. Took me a while to get it just right with fitment.

The rears since I don't have pup I just drilled out the holes. Then use the dremel to widen them a bit. And the just screwed in snuggly with no need for a mounting plate.
Now I will say that I did remove all 4 door panels. Once I got the hang of it, it took me less then 5 minutes per door to take off and reinstall. I also used positaps for all connections as to keep the original connectors there.

I do have one issue. My passenger rear puddle shuts off way earlier then the other 3. Any ideas?

Denver

20170529_202315.jpg

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I do have one issue. My passenger rear puddle shuts off way earlier then the other 3. Any ideas?

It can't hurt to do a reboot and see if it still happens.
Press and Hold both scroll wheels until main screen goes dark.
Press and Hold both buttons above the scroll wheels until dash goes dark.
These two procedures reset both systems.

Last edited:
It can't hurt to do a reboot and see if it still happens...
Press and Hold both scroll wheels until main screen goes dark...
Press and Hold both buttons above the scroll wheels until dash goes dark.
These two procedures reset both systems.
There's one more. Little known.
Sit in the driver seat and hold your foot on the brake pedal through the scroll wheel reboot.
Its a deeper reboot than the normal reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
There's one more. Little known.
Sit in the driver seat and hold your foot on the brake pedal through the scroll wheel reboot.
Its a deeper reboot than the normal reboot.

Now that you told me this, I will do it but I'll always wonder while doing it if you're secretly laughing at me and I don't know if I could blame you given my own warped sense of humour that finds it funny.

In one recent thread, (It might have been earlier in this thread) there was a brief discussion that there are two similar connectors in the rear doors. One works for the puddle lights and the other - someone concluded, must have been for the PUP interior lights. On one side the two cables/connectors were swapped so even though the wire was taken from the same unused tied point, they were actually for different purposes. Could this be the case - sounds like it with your situation?