Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground light on bottom of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed one puddle light today in the drivers side door. This is a custom version with the Tesla T in red on a white circle and no Tesla lettering. Here are a few photos. They're a bit blurry, as I didn't use a tripod.

_DSC4674.JPG

_DSC4673.jpg

Removing the door panel was not difficult but removing the stock lamp and mounting the new projector was a PIA. I had to use a long screwdriver to hammer out the stock lamp. Re-atttaching the door panel is another story altogether. I broke a few of the white clips and now it doesn't lie flat. Fortunately my car goes in for one-year service tomorrow so I'll have Telsa Service replace the broken clips and remount the door panel.

The bad experience got me thinking if it was necessary to remove the door panel at all. It isn't. I've devised a way to remove the stock lamp and mount the new projector lamp without removing the door panel at all. I've got everything prepared and as soon as my car is back from service I'll give it a try and shoot some photos.

Last edited:
Cool. Did you order these from opn20212? I wanted the T in red without the circle in white but they told me it couldn't be done.

Yes, i did order through opn2012, after finding them on EBAY.

i asked about doing a BLUE with BLACK background, and they responded with the following:

Hi,we just have the green and red in our stock , If you want to get the bule one ,we can custom for you,extra cost [FONT=&#23435]30[/FONT] usd for custom, about [FONT=&#23435]20[/FONT] days to make.

28+[FONT=&#23435]30[/FONT]=[FONT=&#23435]58[/FONT] usd for one pair with CREE led

28x2+[FONT=&#23435]30[/FONT]=[FONT=&#23435]86[/FONT] usd for two pairs with CREE led

[FONT=&#23435] Tell us your quantity.[/FONT]

When confirm,inform us ur paypal to send invoice too.
[FONT=&#23435] The preview will be sent to you after we receive the payment.[/FONT]

--------------OPN2012--------------
------BUY4CAR.COM------
Email:
[email protected]

------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------

i ended up getting 4 in BLUE for $86, and it took about 3 weeks.

so im sure they could make custom lenses for you in red... ill ask them.

_Tesla黑底蓝标.png

Attachments

• LED-Welcome-Light-Door-Ghost-Shadow-Laser-Projector-Lamp-For-Logo-TESLA-1318.jpg
    LED-Welcome-Light-Door-Ghost-Shadow-Laser-Projector-Lamp-For-Logo-TESLA-1318.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 621
Yes, i did order through opn2012, after finding them on EBAY.

i asked about doing a BLUE with BLACK background, and they responded with the following:

Hi,we just have the green and red in our stock , If you want to get the bule one ,we can custom for you,extra cost [FONT=&amp]30[/FONT] usd for custom, about [FONT=&amp]20[/FONT] days to make.

28+[FONT=&amp]30[/FONT]=[FONT=&amp]58[/FONT] usd for one pair with CREE led

28x2+[FONT=&amp]30[/FONT]=[FONT=&amp]86[/FONT] usd for two pairs with CREE led

[FONT=&amp] Tell us your quantity.[/FONT]

When confirm,inform us ur paypal to send invoice too.
[FONT=&amp] The preview will be sent to you after we receive the payment.[/FONT]

--------------OPN2012--------------
------BUY4CAR.COM------
Email:
[email protected]

------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------

i ended up getting 4 in BLUE for $86, and it took about 3 weeks.

so im sure they could make custom lenses for you in red... ill ask them.

View attachment 48202

Actually I'm content with the red T on a white circle, but thanks for offering to contact them.

My method for installing the projector puddle lights without removing the door panels works like a charm and it's much easier to do than than door panel removal method, which is a PIA and risks damage to the cabling, mounting clips, and a whole other set of totally unnecessary risks. In my process the stock puddle lights are destroyed but I was not concerned because the replacement projector lights are so much better and brighter. This method also makes it very easy to change out the projector lights if something fails or if you want to change out the pattern or color or the orientation of the Tesla logo or other graphics. Removing the door panels is never necessary to install, repair, or modify the projector/puddle lamps.

Here are the steps and a few photos.

First, to make it easier to work on the underside of the doors, raise the car to the max height with the air suspension. If you don't have the air suspension you might want to raise the car with a jack and jack stands.

Next, using a 1/2 inch drill or forstner bit drill a hole in each of the stock lamps from under the door. Drill as close as possible to one of the edges on the long ends be careful not to drill into the door underside. Once the hole is drilled through the lamp cover the stock lamp will drop out or it can be easily pulled out.

_DSC4678.jpg

Pull the lamp out as far as the connector wires permit. You'll have 3-4 inches of wire to work with. You'll see the clip connector as show in the photo. Cut the two connecting wires as close to the connector as possible, strip about 1/4 of the insulation of each end, and crimp on a female spade connector.

_DSC4679.jpg

To prepare the projector lamps cut four 1.5" x 2.5" pieces from black 1/16" styrene plastic and drill a 7/8" hole in the dead center of each piece. Remove the threaded nut from the projector lamps and slip a plastic piece over each one. You may have to file the holes a bit to get a good fit but make sure they fit tightly. Then cut the projector lamp cable to about 4", cut a slit in the cable cover, and separate the red and black wires. Then strip 1/4' insulation for each wire and crimp on a male spade connector.

Next using a Dremel or other rotary tool grind the space in the center of the opening for the lamp that was exposed when you removed the stock lamp. You want this to a hole to be about 7/8' wide. The projector lamp should fit in the space tight enough to hold it in place. Be careful to tape the wire out of the way so you don't damage it.

_DSC4687.jpg

Next connect the spade conncectors for each lamp and make sure the lamps light. If they don't light, disconnect the spade connectors, close the door, reconnect and check again (the power to the lights times out after about 20 minutes and closing and reopening the door switches on the power again.) Each lamp should light. If it doesn't your spade connectors crimping procedures were probably defective.

_DSC4681.jpg

Once each lamp has been successfully tested the final step is to push the projector lamps into the hole you created. First add some strips of double sided 3M auto mounting tape on the back side of the plastic pieces surrounding the lamps. Then push the spade connectors together and push each lamp into its space under the door making sure it's solidly attached to the door bottom.

_DSC4684.jpg

_DSC4689.jpg

_DSC4697.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, we installed these today in my car; without even removing the door; simply take out the existing light; and insall the new one and take out the "copper ring" that comes with the projector light; once you take this part out, it will go in without drilling or taking out part of the door; took less than 10 minutes to install two in the front doors.

Guys, we installed these today in my car; without even removing the door; simply take out the existing light; and insall the new one and take out the "copper ring" that comes with the projector light; once you take this part out, it will go in without drilling or taking out part of the door; took less than 10 minutes to install two in the front doors.

Makes it easy not removing the door panel, doesn't it?

Video??

Msolomi-looks like you got this thing down pat. We'll done!! Any chance you could post a quick video of your 10 minute installation option?

What to do, what to do. What do we do with the old puddle lights that we remove from the doors?
Well, there's a possible solution for repurposing them.

Missing your LED Trunk lights? Reuse your door puddle lights in the trunk.
Some S's built after July '13 do not have the LED lights in the trunk. These lights would be on the each side on the inside sort of where the brake lights are on the outside. If you look/feel down the felt/carpet surface of the inside of the trunk, you will find an imprint where the lights should be - only problem is they are not there.

The good news is that the wiring harness to power the LED lights is there behind that imprinted flap of felt material. Take a knife and enlarge the small slit at the bottom of the imprinted area. Fish around on the inside (with a finger) and you will likely find the connector for the light. (If you don't find it easily, you can peel the inside carpet felt material back starting at the charging port until you can find the wire and connector). Push the connector out through the hole and plug the LED light in.

Now you have added OEM lights to the trunk from the doors and saved $25.00 doing it.
Here's a picture of the lights.
Puddle Lights.JPG