TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Ground Lost Error" while charging...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Argelius, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

Ah, the excitement of my first hour of Tesla ownership was dampened the moment I pulled into my garage and plugged the car into my recently-installed 240V outlet.

I got a solid red ring, with the 4-flashes: ground lost ("Make sure the outlet is properly grounded. If uncertain, contact your electrician.")

I assume there's no workaround/fix for this other than calling the electrician back to take a look

Awesome car, nonetheless!

And based on my commute, I have about 2 more work days before I'm really introuble...Ah, the excitement of my first hour of Tesla ownership was dampened the moment I pulled into my garage and plugged the car into my recently-installed 240V outlet.

I got a solid red ring, with the 4-flashes: ground lost ("Make sure the outlet is properly grounded. If uncertain, contact your electrician.")

I assume there's no workaround/fix for this other than calling the electrician back to take a look

Awesome car, nonetheless!

And based on my commute, I have about 2 more work days before I'm really introuble...

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Congrats on the car! Sounds like the electrician needs to come back but go ahead and plug into a 110V outlet if you have it to top up overnight until you get it worked out.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Yep electrician mess up.

Congrats on the new S!!

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

Hope it's an easy fix!

5. Argelius

Argelius Member

The electrician returned and, sure enough, they didn't properly ground the outlet. He was able to fix that pretty easily and and now the red ring has turned green and I'm a happy camper!

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Glad it was an easy fix, but don't ever use that electrician again. That's a novice mistake, and he should have tested the outlet when he finished installing it.

7. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Congrats on delivery of your new MS.
    Sounds like the electrician stepped up, corrected his error, and you were not even one night without a full charge.
    Good for BOTH of you.

No problema.

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I agree...that can easily turn into a deadly mistake.