Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground Stud Nut over torqued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had same problem here. Solved one but there was a second ground and I didn't know where it was so I had to go to SC. Told them coolant pump is leaking and they said no problem found.... wow! That ain't water, it's sticky as hell!
VlTWf30_UDG8MUjF-Spei5HHB4ImNd8PciO7nROjhHnGDZ0uDr0q94y6MFUgvt43RBetb2w8rQWRABW27a0R30Sd4RGrvqtbpIUuHwcXmuwr9kldp7ODFABw0menoGyiWZcA1AUcdjBFCDm8NnT-hM1wRDqAJFdf3RQHFw5E49kvm6-G2p_yTE99IrUFYJ7QE-lxkoj0lvxwCu6Ev4WdZumJO-xW8qIF-w_W8_H58qsrHujFFmCjivLDu5HZVleloCJFbT3-mZvX5XcqD-DwvCQZByYYs4ASFm3WalyVoT8Dq9-NUyQgd_rm4f88g-Nhk-H6kmH0Gex3dVo0dsr3KkGPosdNLcZhXHABg-OEUOgj0DTQM1EDwTiObGJWihsYFCJ03UyiPrui1z-pYYFiw4veKkL3LHLl81RjElSgeiulqtpWJMIb_ExKCS0PeIk89PCrulqjjMhf6Y_pvtpBVXDIEEYlr_ujphNZdY4Uz5VL4spL0tb7tFfRWuP18iBg3tXRnmD-sQy8Ip2dpf4HVyDWdFOnBFg6UtpGnvTl5_1amsoz44DGXc4MwiWoF97v5zIEagmA9GzFqq8qVMvDdpYqBeeYXTWvjZnZUlA=w531-h942-no

The cure-all for corrosion in Canada due to salt in winter is oil spraying. Maybe a Tesla needs the same protective coating to keep brine away from connections to aluminium.

We kept an ICE as a winter beater as we are retired and don't travel much in winter. The winter beater also has winter tires which is an expense that I am deferring for the Tesla. So our Model S sits in the garage for a couple of months during the worst of winter and given this experience with corrosion I may have lucked out with the right decision. Insurance reduction helps the justification as well and our winter beater ICE produces lots of excess heat. I am coming to the conclusion that for some climates an EV and ICE are a complementary pair at least until the EV world develops further so solve some basic issues. If the Model 3 has a steel frame and body that alone could solve the issue (along with oil spraying in Canada).

The conventional oil spraying of vehicles is done to the underside and body panels. What needs protection in our case are the aluminum components under the Frunk tub. Any protective spray in there must be targeted precisely in order to avoid rubber hoses and electrical wires.

While cleaning the car today I noticed that my ground has been done at some point from some previous service before I owned the car : As I got no service history I get no information on whether this was an issue that was resolved or if service just did this under goodwill as a known future issue. I find this really odd though, because I assumed this car had never been to service; when I got it with 44,000 km it still had the original cabin filter; if it had been to service they would have changed that...

IMG_0366.JPG

How do you know it was the original filter?

And I think Tesla only changes the filter as part of a paid annual maintenance visit not as part of a warranty service visit. So it could have had any number of warranty visits...

You're right, good point, it could have been brought in for just this reason, or other warranty issues and not serviced. It would be nice if someone could tell me (us).

The cabin filter definitely had 44k of dirt in it; assumption still yes, it could have been changed at 10k and the car driven in very dusty areas for another 34k, but there is no other evidence that the car has been in severely dusty areas. i.e.: rock chips from gravel roads. I have seen my share of cabin filters over the years and most I have seen have half the crud at 60,000 km. So while I have no way of knowing for sure, me thinks it has been there the whole time.

You're right, good point, it could have been brought in for just this reason, or other warranty issues and not serviced. It would be nice if someone could tell me (us).

The cabin filter definitely had 44k of dirt in it; assumption still yes, it could have been changed at 10k and the car driven in very dusty areas for another 34k, but there is no other evidence that the car has been in severely dusty areas. i.e.: rock chips from gravel roads. I have seen my share of cabin filters over the years and most I have seen have half the crud at 60,000 km. So while I have no way of knowing for sure, me thinks it has been there the whole time.

So my car was towed down to the Scottsdale service center about 140 miles away...all the same symptoms as the OP. March 2015 85D. They just called me a couple hours ago and told me I had a corroded ground bolt. Complete coincidence that I just happened to see this thread now. Maybe they haven't seen this much in Arizona, as there's only a few of us up in the mountains where we get snow in the winter. Still, I had suggested we must be looking at a wiring harness issue or a ground problem, and was wondering if mobile service could fix it; they insisted it had to come to the service center. Seems like an incredibly inefficient process...I'm still under warranty (barely), so not cost to me (except half my Saturday going to get it and coming back). If I had paid for a 140 mi tow for this issue out of warranty I might be a bit peeved :/

dark cloud, that "repair" in the posted picture looks awful. Rust on the new bolt indicates they used a steel bolt. Hope they used lots of dissimilar metals compound to prevent galvanic action. I myself used a brass bolt matching the cable brass connectors. But still used compound between the brass and the aluminum frame.

2 weeks ago my right headlight started failing. So I ordered 2 HID D3S bulbs on Amazon and scheduled to tackle that job this weekend. The last Wednesday I get "Coolant low" message. Made appontment with Tesla service but was assured not to worry - probably a bad ground. The I got intermittent 3 beeps with a message flashing on the IP and main screen but not long enough to read. Also "Suspension needs service popped up frequently. I got worse yesterday while driving in the morning. In summary the following happened intermittently:

- right headlight not working
- right turn signal intermittent ( for about 20 minutes, then working)
- message: Suspension needs service ( on permanently until full power off, then re-appearing)
- message: front trunk lid open (this was the 3 beeps and message happening frequently)
- phone notification: Car alarm has been triggered

I thought that there must be some commonality to this, like a bad ground. I removed the Frunk tub and Voila! a broken ground lug / stud merrily swinging in the air. Looks like too much torque was applied at the factory.

View attachment 216361

View attachment 216360

Drilled into the broken stud and tapped a thread
View attachment 216362

Then sandpapered the stud and brass lug connected to the 2 wires. Temporarily connected a jumper cable to the brass lug and low and behold the headlight worked and all warning messages disappeared.
View attachment 216363

Went to Hindle's Hardware in Clarksburg Ontario ( that is in the area where I was visiting ) and got a brass bolt with 2 nuts and special electrical paste for joining dissimilar metals. Reason for brass bolt is that the lug on the 2 wires was already brass.

That Hardware store is amazing! Right out of the 30's complete with crank cash register. If he doesn't have it then it doesn't exist.

Here is the finished job. All problems were solved by this including the malfunctioning headlight.

View attachment 216364

Total cost of repair CAD$ 5.20 ( and 2 beers and my time )
Hi
I had exactly the same issue in a 2015 about 6 months ago. But it was corrosion. Tesla Mobile techs know about it and carry a drill bit, pem but kit, and but replacement to do almost exactly what you did! (I did it too).
Bravo to you for documenting .

In my previous ICE, ground nut was covered from factory with a thick layer of sticky vaseline or similar to prevent or slow down corrosion from road salt etc. It was still looking like brand new after 16 years despite being located in the front wheel well (and we use road salt like crazy here). I checked it due to weird startup symptoms (culprit was a dead starter motor).

While galvanic corrosion is the main thing to prevent, I'd add vaseline for external protection.

Any idea if this issue is more prevalent in certain year models? Or maybe they made some corrections in later models to prevent this. Just curious if I should take a quick look in this area to prevent a future issue.
Sure as &#$&@ a couple years from now it may happen to me and I will have long forgotten this post. LOL

- right headlight not working
- right turn signal intermittent ( for about 20 minutes, then working)
- message: Suspension needs service ( on permanently until full power off, then re-appearing)
- message: front trunk lid open (this was the 3 beeps and message happening frequently)
- phone notification: Car alarm has been triggered

I had exactly the same issues (all of them). It started with Alarm, Front trunk, Coolant, turn signal and headlight and finally Suspension.

Thank you very much for this post. I opened front part and I so the ground cable. It looked like it should. I took wire-brush and started to clean it. Then it happened. The cable jumped out from the car and I saw broken screw. I did the repair in a few minutes. See some photos.

Thank you once again. You have saved me a lot of time and EUR's

e985ecd0-9e32-419f-9a21-f54723c34f4b.jpg

d1a9ef4d-4fb3-4cd4-86ae-a1fc50bbd6b3.jpg

It's called "NoAlOx", at the home center.

But it's specifically for aluminum, and it's not very resilient. Every single ground connection I re-did on my P85D rebuild got silicone grease, aka 'dielectric grease' from the auto parts store. Makes the connection water-tight and gas-tight. I also use it in my RJ45 connectors for the same reasons.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa
Thank you for your help. Will it be better when I use screw from Aluminium? I I understand cable and ground (part on the car) is from Aluminium. So when I use Aluminium screw will it be fine?

Hard to say whether aluminium bolt is better than a steel/brass one. Definitely the steel one will last longer in a salty environment, but then you run into the problem of dissimilar metals and the oxidation between them. In either case you need goop: the antioxidant paste for the dissimilar metals, or a protective coating to keep the aluminum from bathing in the brine/magnesium chloride.

Mine does have some goop in place from whoever replaced it (see above), but I will check it at least annually when I take the front end apart and clean out all the salty sand from the front end in the spring.

What does an aluminum aircraft do? How do the ones that fly over oceans regularly hold up over time?

I just ran into this problem. Does anybody know the dimensions (and most importantly, the thread count) of the bolt I need? I can guess-and-check but it will save me a return trip to the hardware store.

Like others here it is the passenger side ground stud that broke on my car, but I'm debating whether to replace the driver's side bolt as well while I'm in there. This is a really poor engineering flaw given how exposed the under-frunk area is.

If any of you who have had this problem or who live in the northeast have not done the power steering recall yet, do it immediately. I had the exact same corrosion on all three of my power steering bolts and it made for a huge repair of the entire steering column instead of just a bolt replacement (thankfully, Tesla comped it because it was related to the recall).

Disregard the request for bolt dimensions. I wasn't able to clean it out (too much corrosion), so I'll have to tap a new thread as well.

Edit: those of you who tapped a thread and added a new bolt: did you manage any way to get a nut behind the bolt? Or did you just torque it down and hope for the best?

Last edited: