Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground Stud Nut over torqued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could use a regular bolt to hold down the connectors, with an inside- or outside- star washer; the tapped threads are plenty strong enough.

If you want to make a stud for some reason you could tap the hole then put a nut on the -outside- to lock it. I wouldn't otherwise drill a structural member, and Tesla would disqualify you if you ever want recert.

• Helpful
Reactions: robby
Compared to the JDM cars I have owned, looking under the Frunk I see a complete lack of design features for corrosion prevention, starting with drain holes in the needed places.

Someone asked, what do aircraft do? Quite simple, aircraft bolts in aluminum are plated with Cadmium, which is corrosion inhibiting and a good galvanic match with aluminum. Ground connections in aircraft have the paint removed under where the bolt head contacts the structure, check for resistance less than 1 ohm, then over coat with polysulfide sealant.

In this case I will bet the threads do not match common aircraft bolts (AN or NAS or MS series) with the cad plate.

I would use any stainless bolt of the same thread, clean the hole and threads and lugs with a brass or plastic brush, and then install with a torque suitable for those theads on alum. Brush clear grease over the joint, sealant that is not acid curing (non silicone) is ok too.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Cadmium is toxic and I suspect that use in aircraft is an exception. Stainless bolt is a good suggestion. Threading depends on what you tap it as; the rest of the car is metric, reasonably.

Brush clear grease over the joint, sealant that is not acid curing (non silicone) is ok too.
What he means by this is normal silicone caulk cures by offgassing acetic acid. (the vinegar-smell of caulk) This can corrode electrical connections. For this you'd use RTV silicone ('Room-Temperature Vulcanizing') which has a more neutral catalyst, although trying to caulk something like this is counterproductive as water will usually find a way in (from the back? Condendate?), and caulk will actually retain it.

There are lots of fake RTVs, but for 50 years I've used Permatex brand; it's the real deal.

True, cadmium electroplating isn't so bad, but they probably wouldn't want to use them in a mass-market product. And hopefully you've been wearing gloves.

Anytime I have to solder wires in the car (inside or outside) I first put on heatshrink, solder, then RTV everything. And heat the heat-shrink until RTV squeezes out the ends. Yeah I use matches which isn't good; should pull out the paint-stripping heat gun but I never do.

Someone asked, what do aircraft do? Quite simple, aircraft bolts in aluminum are plated with Cadmium, which is corrosion inhibiting and a good galvanic match with aluminum. Ground connections in aircraft have the paint removed under where the bolt head contacts the structure, check for resistance less than 1 ohm, then over coat with polysulfide sealant.

Didn't VW just have to perform a recall on their cars because the charger contained a very small amount of cadmium? (Yep they did.)

I don't think you are allowed to use cadmium in a car...

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

I tapped a 3/8"-16 hole in the (bronzed, I think?) piece on the chassis, and went bolt > 3 washers > wires > 3 washers > double nut > star locking washer > chassis. (I needed washers to fill some non-threaded space on the bolt). I applied dielectric grease around all layers, and I used stainless steel for everything, which should fare much better against salt than the aluminum did.

I'm a little worried about galvanic corrosion, seeing as a fair bit of current passes through steel > brass > aluminum. But this simple fix cost only $4.61 in parts. I'll consider buying a rivnut gun and going that route if this solution proves unsuccessful.

IMG_5662.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_18-40-13.png
    upload_2019-2-22_18-40-13.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
... If any of you who have had this problem or who live in the northeast have not done the power steering recall yet, do it immediately. I had the exact same corrosion on all three of my power steering bolts and it made for a huge repair of the entire steering column instead of just a bolt replacement (thankfully, Tesla comped it because it was related to the recall).

The same here. My car was at the SC for the 4yr/50k, the steering bolt and the airbag recall. The Steering rack found faulted during replacement of steering rack housing bolts, so they replaced steering rack assembly. I'm pretty sure they also "thoroughly" inspected the status of this ground connection as well and found no corrosion ;) , so I should be good !!!

Didn't VW just have to perform a recall on their cars because the charger contained a very small amount of cadmium? (Yep they did.)

I don't think you are allowed to use cadmium in a car...[/QUOTE

Not sure what form the Cad was in the charger, but doubt it was plated hardware..bolts I mentioned are
common in ALL aircraft, anyone can buy this hardware.

In this case, I like what Robbie did. Stainless all around.

2 weeks ago my right headlight started failing. So I ordered 2 HID D3S bulbs on Amazon and scheduled to tackle that job this weekend. The last Wednesday I get "Coolant low" message. Made appontment with Tesla service but was assured not to worry - probably a bad ground. The I got intermittent 3 beeps with a message flashing on the IP and main screen but not long enough to read. Also "Suspension needs service popped up frequently. I got worse yesterday while driving in the morning. In summary the following happened intermittently:

- right headlight not working
- right turn signal intermittent ( for about 20 minutes, then working)
- message: Suspension needs service ( on permanently until full power off, then re-appearing)
- message: front trunk lid open (this was the 3 beeps and message happening frequently)
- phone notification: Car alarm has been triggered

I just want to add my name to the list of people you've helped with this post. Thank you so much! I was getting some (not all) of the same errors plus frequent "Key fob not in car" errors. My ground bolt looked like it was attached, but it sheared right off when I tried to twist it.

While working on this, I noticed, as you did, sparking when reconnecting the ground wire to the frame. I measured a 6v difference with my voltmeter. I also noticed that the battery coolant pump tended to run a lot while not grounded, and shut off immediately when grounded. I wonder if any of this was causing some of the excessive vampire drain I've been noticing.