Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groundhog day ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do I feel that today's announcement will be followed by and distract from another MX delay ?
Haven't we experienced this before ?

Maybe just paranoid :confused::eek::wink:

Personally I have no knowledge of reasons to believe Model X first deliveries are delayed beyond this autumn (of course we know they are already a couple of years late or so), but considering your question I guess the only think that reeks a little of groundhog day is the "90" part.

Just like with "D" many assume that is what Tesla originally had intended to launch with Model X (but launched it first on Model S because Model X was moved forward), many of us have pondered if a larger battery would launch with Model X. Is the decision to launch it on Model S first suggestive of Model X launch being later than they perhaps would have wanted - so they went ahead with the Model S anyway, because the battery was ready?

Or it could just mean these things were never connected anyway - maybe these were always meant to come to the Model S first, because Model X is constrained for so long anyway. Or even - like someone, was it Paul Carter, toyed with - that Model X might get an even larger battery. Or maybe this was just to get some housekeeping stuff on the Model S out of the way, so that when Model X comes, it could be all about the Model X. Just a few speculative thoughts.

Hey, don't get me wong.

I don't have inside information either. The only thing I wanted to state is, that I see some recurring pattern in announcing some MS improvements which seems somehow to cover/ease the pain of an delaied anticipated/expected MX launch.
Whether this is connected or not - I don't know, just speculating... :)

If it takes even more time to launch MX as a perfect product, so be it. Who wants an MX with a lot of flaws?
You also can argue that at least there are some treats provided as compensation for the longer MX-wait. ;-)
I'm not criticising, just expressing my observations and interpretations.

I still am and always be a fan of TESLA.

I don't have inside information either. The only thing I wanted to state is, that I see some recurring pattern in announcing some MS improvements which seems somehow to cover/ease the pain of an delaied anticipated/expected MX launch.
Whether this is connected or not - I don't know, just speculating... :)

If it takes even more time to launch MX as a perfect product, so be it. Who wants an MX with a lot of flaws?
You also can argue that at least there are some treats provided as compensation for the longer MX-wait. ;-)

Indeed, to an extent that seems to be the case. Who knows if it is connected.

I'd flip the thought opposite, though: What if - perhaps in addition to covering some delays, sure - bringing Model S to the forefront is acknowledgement of the fact that Model X anyway is booked for such a long time that there really is no point in hyping Model X up too much. Maybe Tesla has decided to bring everything they can from the Model X development to Model S first. They already did it with "D", now they did it with larger batteries. It would be one way to stop Osbourning the Model S with the Model X launch, to give everything (possible) Model X gets, to the Model S first or at the same time latest.

Sure enough, this would take away from the Model X launch because Tesla can't capture headlines with a huge swath of improvements, but perhaps Tesla is counting on the Model X's unique features (falcon wings, different second and third rows, huge panoramic front, towing etc.) to be enough. Those who want an SUV/CUV, will wait for the Model X, but for everyone else the Model S will have all those same features, perhaps even before Model X ships.

This could be one way of tackling the issue of what happens to Model S sales in the meanwhile once Model X with a 6-12 month queue hits the market. If Model S is seen as the precursor, the leader to all things, Model S being the Audi A8 to the Audi Q7 that is the Model X (Audi generally launches major new features on the A8 and/or brings them there very quickly even though it is niche compared to Q7), maybe it won't matter as much.

Maybe Tesla dropping these to the Model S is a sign of wanting them out on the Model S first, to protect Model S sales. It could also mean Model X is coming shortly after...

Hey, don't get me wong.

I'm not criticising, just expressing my observations and interpretations.

I still am and always be a fan of TESLA.

There's no need to underline the point. It is perfectly OK to question and be critical of Tesla. If someone attacks you for it, just ignore them.

Finally, of course there is this - if this alleged leakster is right, delays can't be ruled out either:

Delay in model X launch?

Part of the underselling Model X. Tesla need steady orders of Model S after Model X launch.
If X is the new WOW, quite some used S'es will hit the marked in my region.
SUV/CUV type of cars is more popular, some people have bought a Model S while waiting for the X.
With a quite smal car marked, just 200-300 more used S'es will bring the price down and less sales of new ones.
(Today it is mora than 8500 Teslas driving around, and just around 100 used for sale)
Tesla can also outprice the X quite easely, plugg in hybrids like XC90 Twin Engine, X5 xDrive40e, Porche Cayenne S E-Drive, Audi Q7 e-tron, MB GLE (hybrid), Outlander phev, have a realy Nice price compared to their fuel only equalent models. From $30000-$100 000 price reduction.
And common people thinks this is the best car to get, range and Green for short trips.