Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy - Eibach lowering springs for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I figured there may still be interest in lowering springs. We're in place to order 12 sets of lowering springs for the Model S with coil suspension. These are sourced and engineered by a high quality OEM manufacturer. This system is similar to the same one used for Mustangs and dare I say...Hellcat. Lead time is in the 6 week range. I'll share specs and pricing upon request. Kindly let me know if you'd like to request a set.

MODS: Considering the thread title, please let me know if I should start a new thread or if this title can be changed.

Last edited:
The front springs are constant, 30% stiffer than OEM. The rear springs are dual-rate, 10% stiffer than OEM.

So this is just an upgrade of the springs, but no change in damping? Dampers usually need to be matched to the springs for the suspension to function properly. I wouldn't mind investing some money in a good coilover package (springs and dampers) to make the car ride and handle better without making driveways and speedbumps a problem.

The front springs are constant, 30% stiffer than OEM. The rear springs are dual-rate, 10% stiffer than OEM.

Any insight on how they arrived on these rates? I find the stock rates to be firm enough, especially for such a large car. I understand you typically increase the rates when you lower a car, but I think 30% is enough that I'll pass. And I really want to lower my car.

Also, +1 on joest

Reactions: Booner
Has anyone taken a suspension apart to measure the OEM springs?

Basic measurements would include overall free length, coil diameter, wire diameter, number of turns, closed or flat ends, installed length (for preload), and loaded length (sag), total stroke range (compression plus rebound stroke length), etc.

From that data the oem spring rate can be calculated and used to determine what is needed for lowering. The shocks need a certain amount of stroke and velocity to effectively damp out vibration, so that must be considered also.

The vendor should be able to provide this sort of data for their design also.

Caveat emptor.

Any insight on how they arrived on these rates? I find the stock rates to be firm enough, especially for such a large car. I understand you typically increase the rates when you lower a car, but I think 30% is enough that I'll pass. And I really want to lower my car.

Also, +1 on joest
10% , 20%, and 30% stiffer springs were track tested in the front and rear. 30%/10% was the optimal setup. Hopefully we'll have an announcement in our official TMC thread tomorrow.:smile:

Last edited:
kenny,
I did some of what you are looking for including shock dyno plots for P and P+ dampers :) I think I came up with spring rates (pretty sure I did as I bought adjustable perches and different springs to try things out). The stuff should be in the middle of the lolachampcar performance upgrade thread.....

Hi Kofi, from Saleen I understand that they lower the car by 1,25" front and backside. What exactly have you adjusted and why? Why have you chosen to make it higher in the front and lower in the back? thanks
Hi Peterr,

We're lowering the same height in the front and in back. I'll share detailed specs of our system in the Sponsor forum within the next week. We're putting together an announcement which answers your questions and those presented from others in the thread.

10% , 20%, and 30% stiffer springs were track tested in the front and rear. 30%/10% was the optimal setup. Hopefully we'll have an announcement in our official TMC thread tomorrow.:smile:

At the risk of sounding whiney (I'm actually going for constructive criticism), was there any polling or information gathering done on the typical tesla owner's needs? I'd be surprised to hear that any more than a small minority of owners want track developed spring rates, since a tesla can barely manage a lap or two before getting squeezed on power. I'd buy 0/0 in a heartbeat and even 10%/0%, but 30/10 is simply too stiff. And I live many miles and many many turns up a popular Bay Area mountain road...

Are other rates an option? Even if in the future sometime?

At the risk of sounding whiney (I'm actually going for constructive criticism), was there any polling or information gathering done on the typical tesla owner's needs? I'd be surprised to hear that any more than a small minority of owners want track developed spring rates, since a tesla can barely manage a lap or two before getting squeezed on power. I'd buy 0/0 in a heartbeat and even 10%/0%, but 30/10 is simply too stiff. And I live many miles and many many turns up a popular Bay Area mountain road...

Are other rates an option? Even if in the future sometime?
Thanks for your feedback bxr140. Other spring rates are definitely an option. You brought up a good point about gathering input on the typical Tesla owner's needs for suspension. I'd like to open that topic up for discussion. We'll start a thread in the Sponsor section, or possibly include it in our Official thread. We've generated quite a few inquiries this week for the springs. We want to make sure the final product enhances performance and styling precisely to your needs. The springs are sourced through one of the oldest industry trusted U.S. spring manufacturers. We're capable of delivering within 8 weeks once the specs are finalized.

I'm interested but I'm looking for 1" drop.
for me, anything more than 1" is too low and not practical for everyday use.

Assuming you have the non-air coil spring suspension, any competent shop can modify the c-clip on the shock bodies to allow any custom drop you want. I did 1.5" but the originator of the concept did 1.25" drop. You could easily lower your car precisely 1" and not harm ride quality at all and the cost in labor (no parts necessary) would be not much different than the cost it will be in labor to install springs (and if the springs are $150 or less, the cost delta would be identical, actually).

The big rub (pun intended) comes from the need for more spring rate to keep the car off the ground when fully loaded when you take away travel (lower it). I set my P+ up on stock springs about 1 1/4" lower than than Air Low and I had to be very careful over speed bumps with just me in the car. Put four people in it and speed bumps were not an option.

I agree with ari in that, if you are not concerned about maintaining loaded ride height, it is a no brainer for any competent shop to pull the spring damper units, machine some more grooves in the damper body and re-assemble. I added three new grooves at 1/4" spacing so I had options. For anyone worried about machining grooves in damper bodies, this is exactly how Bilstein does it for their aftermarket adjustable spring perch dampers.

For anyone wanting to play with screw type adjustable perches, I have a set of four and some springs I bought for playing with my car before I decided to go all Tesla OEM. They are cluttering up my hangar so the price it right.