Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for FOBO Tire Plus - $30 or $50 off, plus free express shipping ($20 value)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unable to get two of the sensors to pair with the in-car unit. The in-car unit acted like there wasn't any sensor at all. Now, I do have LTE on my phone, and I've since then read that it might be interfering with the bluetooth signal, so I should turn off LTE and try again. Or, as Andy suggests, I might try replacing batteries (although I have no clue how to open up the sensor without damaging it).

I'll make another attempt to get them paired later today.
I am unable to get two of the sensors to pair with the in-car unit. The in-car unit acted like there wasn't any sensor at all. Now, I do have LTE on my phone, and I've since then read that it might be interfering with the bluetooth signal, so I should turn off LTE and try again. Or, as Andy suggests, I might try replacing batteries (although I have no clue how to open up the sensor without damaging it).

I'll make another attempt to get them paired later today.
It took longer than a day, but all 4 sensors are working. I needed to replace batteries, turn off LTE on my phone, and also press lower in the App's reset box--only the lower part of the reset box actually resets.

I'm thinking about selling mine (black). Only had them on the car for a week or so, before I took them off (had to bring the car in to the dealer, never put them back on).

It looks like I should be able to unlink them from my account, so they should be as good as new.

Anyone interested?

a little more from the Fobo folks re the issues with pairing a few people have had - they are working on these, and everything else people have asked for....
-------------
The early batch is susceptible to ESD (electrostatic discharge), we know for sure as we are able to duplicate. The later batch post-Dec, has a watchdog in the firmware to auto reset whenever there is a substantial ESD attack (e.g., from static electricity in the tires). Obviously changing batteries will resolve. We are now working on a FoboTool app to allow users to upgrade their firmware to this newer version and this is where Fobo product will be absolutely different from others!

On the LTE, that is correct, as it's a well known fact that LTE will interfere with Bluetooth as there are in the same frequency band. Either the LTE or Bluetooth councils need to address that, and I am sure that is happening as we talk. We just need to wait and see. However this will only affect the pairing process, not the reading process once it's successfully paired. And again this is not limited to Fobo
---------

Just a bit of information on battery life and readings--I had e-mailed James with a question about the battery gauge on the app (1 to 4 bars). His reply:

To cut a long story short; lithium ion is better than alkaline battery, but it will hold a very narrow voltage, in this case 3.2v to 2.7v, after which it will fail to drive the electronics, and the sensor will stop working. Some customers were surprised why it was showing 3 bars the day before and the same battery got konked out the next day. To overcome this, we recalibrate the indicator to reflect its performance voltage and not its overall voltage of 0-3.2v! A 4 bars will denote 3.2v and above, which will be a Perfectly good battery, a 3 bars will be 3.0-3.2v, and so on. Hence a 3 bars is still an above average battery and it should last you for many months without excessive user behaviors. A new battery from the store may not be above 3.2v depending on how long it has left the factory or sitting in the store, so you need to anticipate some losses due to that. 100 deg F is not an issue for sure, but 140 degF may start to cause deterioration and also -20deg C downward will do the same, and I do hope you don't have such cold winter!

Last but not least- if any battery is draining out, say less than 3 months, it's not acceptable (again assuming no excessive user behavior), you need to report back to us, and we will be happy to provide a replacement warranty. Just to define excessive behavior- it's releasing, re-pairing, excessive rotation, excessive temp exposure, ignoring alert continuously, removing and re screwing sensor excessively, etc, things like these will consume battery, which is quite normal.

Hope this clarifies, and you could continue using your Fobo products at ease.

Am I disappointed I missed out on this, or maybe I'll try PMing Andyw2100...

Is there a way to still hop on this?

As I told rrosenbl when he did write me privately, you could certainly try writing to the company, letting them know that you only just found this thread, and asking them if there is anything they can do for you. The discount they offered us was really quite significant, so I kind of doubt they would still extend it to you, but you never know.

Big thread bump!!!

Is there a Fobo Sensor theft replacement program?

I had all four Fobo sensors stolen off my ICE car right in front of my house. I did not have the locking rings on them because I really didn't think anyone would bother my car in this neighborhood!

Can someone else re-register stolen FOBO sensors? Should I report them as stolen?

Big thread bump!!!

Is there a Fobo Sensor theft replacement program?

I had all four Fobo sensors stolen off my ICE car right in front of my house. I did not have the locking rings on them because I really didn't think anyone would bother my car in this neighborhood!

Can someone else re-register stolen FOBO sensors? Should I report them as stolen?

If I remember correctly, the sensors will be useless to the person who stole them, as they are "locked" to your FOBO account and/or in-car unit.

It wouldn't hurt for you to contact the company, let them know what happened, and confirm my belief that they are, in fact, useless to whomever stole them.

Sorry this happened to you!

Well, it happened again... two more FOBO sensors stolen right off my car in front of my house.. and this time I had the anti-theft lock rings in place. They only took the street facing side sensors this time. Not sure what I'm going to do -- this is a very safe area, but my street is a major walk through street for the junior high school letting out everyday, so I suspect it's just kids being opportunistic. But this is getting expensive after have four stolen last year from the same car, same place.

Are we sure that stolen FOBO sensors can't be used elsewhere if the thief tries to use them on their car?

People suck.

Are we sure that stolen FOBO sensors can't be used elsewhere if the thief tries to use them on their car?

Supposedly the tire sensors as well as the in-car unit are tied to your Fobo cloud account and they won't pair with another account. The thing is that I doubt the average thief knows anything about that, so while they don't have any resale value on the open market, that doesn't stop them from stealing them thinking that they do.

I know... But it would be nice if they returned them when they realize that they are useless to them. How much do they think they are worth to resell assuming they worked? Not much. Is it worth getting caught stealing? It's not like there are any drug addicts walking around here looking for a other hit and stealing anything not nailed down.